Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received in the mail a brochure for Viking Cruises, though I have never taken a cruise nor have any intention to do so. But, the little brochure makes for interesting throne room reading, so... I was looking at the pages detailing the layout of the vessels and saw this in the description of the Viking Sky class cruise ships that ply the Mediterranean.

Description: Small Ship
Length: 745 feet
Displacement: 48,000 tons

The USS North Carolina (the fabled "Showboat" of the Pacific theater who fought off Guadalcanal) had a LOA (length, overall) of 729 feet and a displacement of 41,000 tons fully loaded. And yet these ships of the Viking Sky class are considered "small ships"!!! I have no desire to go anywhere near the larger ones...

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I would love to go on a European Viking cruise. I know somebody who has done one and they raved about it. Like you, I have no desire to go one one of those huge floating cities either. If I was to do a Caribbean one it would be a Wind Star one.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Small compared to the USS Lincoln or the USS Bush.
I received in the mail a brochure for Viking Cruises, though I have never taken a cruise nor have any intention to do so. But, the little brochure makes for interesting throne room reading, so... I was looking at the pages detailing the layout of the vessels and saw this in the description of the Viking Sky class cruise ships that ply the Mediterranean.

The USS North Carolina (the fabled "Showboat" of the Pacific theater who fought off Guadalcanal) had a LOA (length, overall) of 729 feet and a displacement of 41,000 tons fully loaded. And yet these ships of the Viking Sky class are considered "small ships"!!! I have no desire to go anywhere near the larger ones...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
The largest cruise ships are over 1,100 feet long and displace over 200,000 tons. They're about the size of aircraft carriers. So, yes, that's a small one. The Viking ship also carries around 1,000 passengers. The big ones take around 5,000.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I was just given a 7 day cruise by one of my suppliers, the marketing material states that it's "the largest cruise ship in the world". As if that was a selling point. Over 5500 passengers.

I'm still going because it's 8 free days away from work, includes free airfare and did I mention it's free.

I'll report back on how we fared.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
That's the one. I'm not leaving until May 13.
Do you know if your cabin is "interior" (meaning NO window)? If you you never get seasick then I wouldn't worry but if you have a tendency of getting seasick than it might be worth to consider upgrading to a "ocean view" especially for an 7-day cruise.

That's awesome it's free and most likely you'll view cruises differently afterwards. I usually recommend for first-timers to try a shorter 3 or 4-day cruises first to see what they think and then they will know what they would prefer (i.e. more land/island adventures vs. maritime activities).

·
Banned
19,737 Posts

nowadays it is.

RMS Queen Mary 2 is over 1100

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
considering 1320 feet is a 1/4 mile.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts