Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check it out. I just got off the phone with the missiz. Apparently a scout for an independent film company is interested in leasing our old house for a few months for use in a movie.

http://www.gomemphis.com/news/2010/jul/19/memphis-sets-scene-for-music-flick/?partner=RSS

I think it would be cool. I wonder how much damage they would do, especially since its about a garage band and my garage is full of old cars, including a body that has 1000 hours of welding and body work in it.

I have a call in to the scout. We'll see what develops.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Andy69 said:
I think it would be cool.

I think you should think about it some more.

Do your research, and make sure the contract says they will return the house to the original condition... and by what date.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dr hoo said:
I think you should think about it some more.

Do your research, and make sure the contract says they will return the house to the original condition... and by what date.
oh yes, I've already had that conversation with my attorney.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with hoo on this... check it out before you say yes.

I'm sure others over here in SoCal will have better stories but I've heard that you want the TV guys, not the motion picture guys, if you have a choice.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Andy69 said:
oh yes, I've already had that conversation with my attorney.
sounds good, go for it if the price is right and everything is in writing. Also pay attention to how long the days will be, when they should end (according to you) and any other stipulations ("no cables across cars", etc.)

a friend of mine has an amazing house in the HW hills that he rents out all the time to commercials, magazine shoots and film/tv. He now uses it as a pretty regular source of income and I'm sure it pays his mortgage and then some.

His funny story: he had a contract drawn up that stated the film would wrap by 10pm every night, because he lives there and didn't want to be up all night. They had an arrogant director (no wai!) who thought he was above the contract. At 10:00 my buddy reminded him that they were supposed to be done, and got a "Yeah yeah yeah..." reply.

So off to the circuit breakers he went, and shut down the entire production with a flip of a few breakers, followed by a loud "WTF!!!"

"what part of "10:00 don't you understand?"

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
My moms neighbor's house was used for a recent movie (Happy Tears). They negotiated how the house was to look when they were finished and that they were put up at a swanky hotel during the time that Demi Moore was on the set. Apparently Ms. Moore doesn't like little people. Rip Torn, however , ingratiatted himself to the entire neighborhood. See what yourlawyer says.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
They used my neighbor's house a couple of years ago, disrupted the entire street for a week. It was cool though to go walking the dog at night and see the big lights on the house.

Not far from me some people got their asses sued off by their neighbors. Their house had a regular role in Breaking Bad and the neighborhood got the village to pass a new ordinance restricting such usage to the point where it was essentially impossible.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
terry b said:
Their house had a regular role in Breaking Bad and the neighborhood got the village to pass a new ordinance restricting such usage to the point where it was essentially impossible.
Why does this not surprise me. A multiple Emmy nominated show with wide spread critical acclaim and Corrales shoots itself in the foot. Welcome to New Mexico. :rolleyes:

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
My childhood home was the house in Home Alone 3 (I grew up in John Hughes territory). My parents said yes because if they had said no, the crew would have gone elsewhere and squashed the dreams of all the small kids on the block who were promised background parts. They regretted it.

The crew stole. They killed everything in the garden with their carelessness. They killed a giant oak by compressing the soil with their trucks/lights. They made life a huge pain in the ass for 3 months as the block was closed. My parents had to be constantly vigilant to prevent being exploited by the crew. The sweet talker who got the block to sign the contract was gone the day he got the last signature.

The kids on the block loved it, but for the homeowners it was a nightmare. I know for a fact that 100% of them would refuse to do it again.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
theBreeze said:
Why does this not surprise me. A multiple Emmy nominated show with wide spread critical acclaim and Corrales shoots itself in the foot. Welcome to New Mexico. :rolleyes:
Now now now, it wasn't Corrales, it was Los Ranchos. And it was on that fancy loop off of Rio Grande Blvd. by the big bend. I think it was a lot of big people with big houses and big money they didn't want thei solitude disrupted.

Corrales is cool with this stuff.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
wow. they just use my bedroom for indie productions.
and the bathroom.
and the kitchen.
and the laundry room.
and the livingroom.
make sure they cover the couch with a drop cloth...

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
That makes a bit more sense.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,268 Posts
My dad's car was in a couple of Man From UNCLE episodes back in teh 1960's. The exterior of my present house has been used in a couple of commercials. A production assistant walked up to my door a couple days before the shooting of one of them and gave me five hundred dollars cash for use of the front yard. One night.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
they also

typically do repairs and such on your home
my old house was used in a TV SHow and they redid the hardwood floors and the fireplace

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
When I was in high school they filmed seens from The Freshman at our house. Got to meet Marlon Brando and Matthew Broderick during filming.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
My BIL lived in the attic apartment next door to the house where they filmed "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle". Disruptive, but the owners got enough dough that they put in an underground shooting range. All concrete with high tech venting, and made a lot of other improvemnts to the house.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Our block has been used a few times. Law & Order, Third Watch, the new version of Life on Mars......for some reason, if there's crime and violence, they think our block is perfect.

Sucks when they make us park elsewhere so that the block can be filled with cars that are professional actors. Cars that look just like our cars. :rolleyes: For Life on Mars, though, they put vintage cars on the block, now THAT was cool.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts