Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody disputes that cycling is a dangerous activity. Unfortunately that fact has been right in my face lately. The club I ride with has about 200 members. They range from teens to guys in their 80's. Last weekend a friend I ride with once or twice per week crashed on some gravel in a turn. He's an excellent rider and bike handler. He's loaded with road rash and broke his femur in 6 (count 'em) places.

Today, an even closer friend that I ride with almost daily, crashed on a downhill. He was on aero bars (I HATE those), drifted off the side of the road and went over the bars. He has a broken neck...3 cracked vertebrae actually.

Jeez folks......be careful out there all right?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I hear you Mr. Versatile. I myself ate asphalt two days ago. Coming home from my daily exercise ride, I'm slowing down for a red light about 50 yards away. I'm on my MTB and going about 10mph and begin to slowly squeeze the lever for the front brake. When the front brake pads begin to make contact with the rim, the front wheel does a little stutter which caused the bike to lurch forward which in turn slams the brake lever into my already engaged hand causing the front wheel to lock up. I go over the bars. I got a modest shiner with minor cuts near my left eye / temple area, minor road rash on both knees and left shoulder. A really freak accident. A week before this, I hit a small rock coming down a mountain while entering a turn, I recovered in time to avoid falling off but it was close. A month before that, I crashed while descending. The road was steep with the mountain on my right and the canyon on the left. I crashed because my front wheel blew out. Luckily I went into the mountain. Both these wrecks and the near wreck were not due to equipment failure or in my opinion operator incompetence. Bad luck? Who knows, but I'm taking it more cautious now.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
You can't prevent people from crashing because they pulled some dumb stunt.
Case in point is a crash that took out three riders in a Crit I did this morning. I heard the sweet sounds of bike Vs pavement behind me, so I didn't find out what happened until after the race. Picture this: Guy discovers that overlapping wheels in a Crit is not a good thing to do when there are constant attacks. What's even crazier, is that the guy that hit the other riders front wheel, also went down. The three guys that went down were all bike racing noobs, who were gassed at the time, and were an accident waiting to happen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.