Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I bought this bartape at veloswap, it's thick, which makes the bars thicker which I like. Anyways my problem, I only bought enough for one bike, it was super cheap, and I didn't need bartape at the time, but I bought it because it was like 2 dollars or something. So I put it on one of my bikes, and I've fallen inlove with it, so much so it feels weird to ride my bike with normal cork tape. Any clue to what kind of tape this is? It's silver it has like a white foamy thing on the other side, and it's kind of slick on top. Or perhaps other suggestions? Honestly I'd prefer something other than silver, it looks sweet on the one bike, but would look kinda of out of place on the other.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Comeon, someone must have a lead on this stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FTF said:
Comeon, someone must have a lead on this stuff.

i don't know about cycle specific tape but look into tennis racket and hockey stick tape. I too like a thicker feel on my handlebar and currently have 2 layers on my handlebars.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
All kinds of ways to pad out the bars....

If you can't find the exact tape you want, there are lots of ways to pad out the bars. I put Cinelli cork tape in Bianchi celeste on my Atlantis (matches the color, no matter what Grant Petersen says), and it lasted about two weeks before it started to fray, so I wrapped over it with cotton tape. Feels good and it's going into its third year. An old (in his 80s now) ex-racer friend of my dad's says they used to wrap the bars with an inner tube, then overwrap with cotton, which was about the only thing available 30 years ago. Some people use foam pipe insulation, but that's too fat for me. But I cut about an inch off one end of my daughter's yoga mat (she'll never notice...) and wrapped over that, and it's just right. An Ensolite backpacking pad would work, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Vinyl tape??

Sounds like you might have some vinyl bar tape like Bike Ribbon or Ambrosio. Pretty common with pro's. I've used it for years; very durable.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Or just double wrap. I double the tops of the bars and leave the drops single...

·
Martini time?
206 Posts
I was looking at bar tape at the bike shop today, Specialized makes "Bar Phat" tape in 2.5 and 4 mm thickness, they had a demo handlebar with one type on each side. They were both pretty cushy. The thinner the better for me, I have smaller hands.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
twrecks said:
I was looking at bar tape at the bike shop today, Specialized makes "Bar Phat" tape in 2.5 and 4 mm thickness, they had a demo handlebar with one type on each side. They were both pretty cushy. The thinner the better for me, I have smaller hands.
Yeah, I know about this barfat stuff, but I'm not really looking for cushy(which is also why I don't want to double wrap), which is why I like this stuff, it's not cushy, it's just thicker, I wish they would just make the bar bigger, lol. Anyways I think I found the stuff, it's apparently made by oval. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
llvllatt said:
http://www.bbbparts.com/products/accessories/racetapes.html I've got that stuff (just the normal BHT-01 in white) and have found it noticably thicker than everything else i've used (cinelli cork, look cork and some other noname stuff), not particularly cushy and lasts pretty long. Cheap too, I paid about $10 CDN retail
Yup that's the stuff. Thanks, I've been looking for a source.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts