Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Chamois butter, but i definately need something way thicker.
I was really happy with QM 4+, but it was impossible to get out of my bibs, any other recomendations?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Mike, will it come out of the bibs when i wash it?
Yes. Lanolin is the oil rendered from sheeps' wool. Wiki says this about glycerine - "Glycerol (or glycerine, glycerin) is a simple polyol compound. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous liquid that is widely used in pharmaceutical formulations. Glycerol has three hydroxyl groups that are responsible for its solubility in water and its hygroscopic nature."

I use it on longer rides (without the glycerine) to apply to the shorts' chammy. It's like a thick paste. Then I apply a thinner lube to my backside (Aquaphor, Vaseline) but those lubes are hard to get out of my bibs. This coming season I might experiment with a thinner Lanolin/Glycerine mix and without the Aquaphor or Vaseline.

But if you want thick, Lanolin is your stuff.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I've used Vaseline or its generic equilivant for many years & have had no problems either on my skin or washing it out of my shorts. As Mike alluded to, there are many other formulations that might be excellent choices. Eucrin is one. It's an OTC skin moisturizer that's recommended a lot by docs. It's pretty thick, but not thicker than Chammy Buttr'. Bag Balm is all right. I've used that a lot & can't discern a significant difference from petroleum jelly. I often wonder (no jk) how well KY jelly would work. Never tried it.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Chamois cream is for wimps and sissies. You don't need that stuff on modern chamois. In the olden days, when chamois were, well, chamois (meaning, made out of goat hide), you needed the stuff to prevent the chamois from turning into sandpaper. With modern chamois materials, this issue doesn't exist, hence no chamois creme needed.

P.S.: And it's spelled "definitely".

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not going to make a "blanket statement," but this thread puzzled me. I rode 65 miles on Monday and 70 miles two days earlier. I've got bag balm at home, but did not feel the need to use it for the rides. How hard are you hammering and what saddle are you using? Apparently lots of riders lube up, but I'm not sure why.

I'm riding an older Spec. Roubaix with a new toupe gel saddle. Is it the saddle, the bike geometry, the style of riding or anatomy?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I'm not going to make a "blanket statement," but this thread puzzled me. I rode 65 miles on Monday and 70 miles two days earlier. I've got bag balm at home, but did not feel the need to use it for the rides. How hard are you hammering and what saddle are you using? Apparently lots of riders lube up, but I'm not sure why.
I'm riding an older Spec. Roubaix with a new toupe gel saddle. Is it the saddle, the bike geometry, the style of riding or anatomy?
What does any of that matter? I'm sure most pro racers use crotch lubrication and probably some don't. Same for leisure riders, tourists, hard riders and domestic racers. I didn't use it for a few decades of riding, training racing - even with real leather chamois (and more recently with synthetic pads). But now I do; maybe my tissues are thinning with age? Nothing changed except my age.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What does any of that matter? I'm sure most pro racers use crotch lubrication and probably some don't. Same for leisure riders, tourists, hard riders and domestic racers. I didn't use it for a few decades of riding, training racing - even with real leather chamois (and more recently with synthetic pads). But now I do; maybe my tissues are thinning with age? Nothing changed except my age.
None of it matters. I didn't realize that was a requirement on this forum. Excuse me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Chamois cream is for wimps and sissies. You don't need that stuff on modern chamois. In the olden days, when chamois were, well, chamois (meaning, made out of goat hide), you needed the stuff to prevent the chamois from turning into sandpaper. With modern chamois materials, this issue doesn't exist, hence no chamois creme needed.

P.S.: And it's spelled "definitely".
hey, thank you for the letting me know about it. My first language is not english, so I make mistakes pretty often.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Many commercial chamois creams contain preservatives that cause contact sensitization in many individuals. The two worst offenders are diazolininyl urea and methylisothiazolinone (Kathon). Diazolidinyl urea and similar compounds work by releasing small amounts of formaldehyde - a toxic cancer causing sensitizer. Methylisothiazolinone is a strong sensitizer which is responsible for an ongoing epidemic of contact sensitization due to its inclusion in so many consumer products. If you get any rash or discomfort after using any chamois cream discontinue use immediately. Avoid any product with diazolidinly urea i.e. DZ Nuts or methylisothiazolinone i.e. Assos. Assos and Neutrogena "Sensitive Skin" sunscreen made me extremely sick.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Many commercial chamois creams contain preservatives that cause contact sensitization in many individuals. The two worst offenders are diazolininyl urea and methylisothiazolinone (Kathon). Diazolidinyl urea and similar compounds work by releasing small amounts of formaldehyde - a toxic cancer causing sensitizer. Methylisothiazolinone is a strong sensitizer which is responsible for an ongoing epidemic of contact sensitization due to its inclusion in so many consumer products. If you get any rash or discomfort after using any chamois cream discontinue use immediately. Avoid any product with diazolidinly urea i.e. DZ Nuts or methylisothiazolinone i.e. Assos. Assos and Neutrogena "Sensitive Skin" sunscreen made me extremely sick.
I got a VERY itchy Taint last years after using Vaseline (highly recommended as a cycling crotch lube on some forums). When I stopped outdoor riding in the fall (I ride indoors all winter and don't ride long enough to chafe) the itch cleared up. Anecdotal evidence? Absolutely. But I ain't going back to Vaseline or maybe any lube that contains petroleum products. Did petroleum products cause my itch? I don't know.

I will check out your post's info. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.