Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm noticing the brake track wear indicator on my Archetypes that I've ridden about 1000 miles though trails, puddles, swamps, gravel, you name it are at about the same point as my road set I've used for about 15000 on the road. Roughly half way.

While I love these rims and will stick with them for road I'm thinking, if possible, that my next off road rims will be something with a thicker/longer lasting brake track.

Any know of rims that are either thicker than typical on the brake track or made of something that doesn't wear as fast as typical alloy?
23 wide would be nice but not necessary, I don't care about aero, I understand more brake track means more weight and I'd need 32 holes.
Anyone know about the DT Swiss TK 540? It's heavy and shallow so would assume some of that extra weight as compared to the deeper and lighter Archetype goes to the brake track but not sure if that's a safe assumption.

Thank you,

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
So I'm noticing the brake track wear indicator on my Archetypes that I've ridden about 1000 miles though trails, puddles, swamps, gravel, you name it are at about the same point as my road set I've used for about 15000 on the road. Roughly half way.

While I love these rims and will stick with them for road I'm thinking, if possible, that my next off road rims will be something with a thicker/longer lasting brake track.

Any know of rims that are either thicker than typical on the brake track or made of something that doesn't wear as fast as typical alloy?
23 wide would be nice but not necessary, I don't care about aero, I understand more brake track means more weight and I'd need 32 holes.
Anyone know about the DT Swiss TK 540? It's heavy and shallow so would assume some of that extra weight as compared to the deeper and lighter Archetype goes to the brake track but not sure if that's a safe assumption.

Thank you,
You answered your own question. I was going to recommend the DT Swiss TK540, but you beat me to it. They come in either 32 or 36 hole.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You answered your own question. I was going to recommend the DT Swiss TK540, but you beat me to it.
so you know the brake track is thicker than it is one the Archetype or typical road rim? (as opposed to the extra weight being elsewhere)

thanks,

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
so you know the brake track is thicker than it is one the Archetype or typical road rim? (as opposed to the extra weight being elsewhere)

thanks,
I don't know for sure how thick the brake track is. I'm just thinking a touring/trekking type of rim will be more robust than a road type rim. This would be my rim of choice for this type.

Finding a dedicated CX rim with rim brakes may be difficult, if even possible.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finding a dedicated CX rim with rim brakes may be difficult, if even possible.
You're joking right? First of all any rim can be used for CX and second of all lots of people at all levels including pro are still racing with rim brakes so options quite appropriate not just 'made due' is obviously out there.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
You're joking right? First of all any rim can be used for CX and second of all lots of people at all levels including pro are still racing with rim brakes so options quite appropriate not just 'made due' is obviously out there.
Hmmm. Well obviously, from what you said, not just any rim brake rim can be used for CX for more than a couple thousand miles without wearing out the brake track. :)

FWIW, there don't seem to be a lot of options for rim brake rims for touring/trekking/hybrid bikes. The DT TK540 and Mavic A719 are two that come to mind. The choice between those two is a no-brainer. Do you know of many others besides off-brands like Sun? I'm all eyes and ears. :)

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm. Well obviously, from what you said, not just any rim brake rim can be used for CX for more than a couple thousand miles without wearing out the brake track. :)

FWIW, there don't seem to be a lot of options for rim brake rims for touring/trekking/hybrid bikes. The DT TK540 and Mavic A719 are two that come to mind. The choice between those two is a no-brainer. Do you know of many others besides off-brands like Sun? I'm all eyes and ears. :)
I'm looking for a rim with a brake track thicker/longer lasting then H Plus Son Archetype. Period.

While the riding I do on that bike may have some similarities to CX it isn't and it most certainly isn't touring. I don't care who the rim is marketed to or what it's called. If you know of one with a thicker brake track than the Archetype please let me know. That's all I'm after here.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
I'm looking for a rim with a brake track thicker/longer lasting then H Plus Son Archetype. Period.

While the riding I do on that bike may have some similarities to CX it isn't and it most certainly isn't touring. I don't care who the rim is marketed to or what it's called. If you know of one with a thicker brake track than the Archetype please let me know. That's all I'm after here.
Understood.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to get a disc brake bike for those conditions, and save the rim brakes for dry pavement. On the other hand, I thought you had bought a disc brake bike? Maybe somebody it was else?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts

Thank you,
Interesting question. I looked at my stash of naked rims and found no appreciable thickness difference between Archetype, TB14 and CXP22. Measurement shows about 1.6mm but it includes the tire bead shelf and that may be skewing the measurement of the actual thickness of the brake track. However, at least visually, they all seem the share the same curl.
The difference is more apparent when compared to a Ksyrium SL which measures at 1.0mm at the same location as with the others.
I don't have any DT 540s laying around so can't help you there.

I also looked at a pair of Archetypes that has seen a bit of use, a bit over 6000 miles according to my Garmin, and the rim wear dimple still shows pretty well. This makes me wonder if you may be better served by a less abrasive brake pad than what you may be using now because, IMO, a mid-point life of 1000 miles use out of a rim would be the equivalent of 100 miles out of a tire. In other words, way too soon no matter how harsh the conditions or how much/often you brake. After all, not all of these 1000 miles are on wet gritty conditions.

Bicycle tire Tints and shades Bicycle wheel rim Iron Bicycle part

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all.

A few responses:
-I had a closer look last night and while it's really hard to say I was probably exaggerating by saying they are about half way. Probably less.

-I have no desire to get disc brakes. As far as them solving anything goes from what I understand I'd just be replacing rotors and pads more often instead of rims.

-I use shimano pads and I don't think another would change anything because the accelerated wear comes from having grit in the pads. I keep them clean between rides but I'm not about to clean my pad mid-ride so it is what it is. And I don't want to give up any stopping power.

-The type of riding I'm talking about is riding though water, then gravel, then braking down steep very grades after picking up sand quite often. So wear is to be expected regardless and just something to deal with but if I could get a rim with a longer wear life I would. Otherwise no big deal. Also, this was all spring riding and things will dry up from now until October so I've probably seen the last of the fast wear until fall. So even if I was on a pace for 2000 mile rim life that's change for the better.

-While 1000 miles (which was a guess) isn't much it's more than it probably sounds like to a road bike audience. I don't have a computer on that bike but I'd be surprised if I'm averaging more than 7mph on trails so it's a decent amount of riding, and braking, in terms of hours.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
Or you could just use the most basic cheapest rims you can find. Build yourself a couple of pairs. Then when they wear out, lace your old hubs to new rims, repeat as necessary. Keep a few in rotation.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Or you could just use the most basic cheapest rims you can find. Build yourself a couple of pairs. Then when they wear out, lace your old hubs to new rims, repeat as necessary. Keep a few in rotation.
Hadn't though of that. that might be a good option. I'll see how long I end up getting out of Archetypes and if it's on the low end I may just try that route. This set is 32/28 spokes, use 33mm tires and I only weigh about 145 so although the riding is rough I still should be okay with any cheapo rim.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
Hadn't though of that. that might be a good option. I'll see how long I end up getting out of Archetypes and if it's on the low end I may just try that route. This set is 32/28 spokes, use 33mm tires and I only weigh about 145 so although the riding is rough I still should be okay with any cheapo rim.
Road | SUNringlé

1 - 16 of 16 Posts