Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started riding two weeks ago. My thighs hurt now. Specifically the front-inner thigh muscle on both legs hurt when I just straighten them and give them a good muscle contraction. I am guessing that is because I have not used those muscles much before. So my plan is to give them a rest during the week. What do you think?

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Vastus Medialis

That's the name of the muscle, a part of the quadriceps group ("quads"). It's the muscle most distinctively used in cycling, and you overdid it. Those muscles will get stronger (and, probably, visibly larger) if you keep at the cycling.

Rather than complete rest, you might get faster recovery with some easy rides during the week. Take it slower, and (as others have advised) stay in low gears so you spin rather than grind.

Self-massage can really help speed recovery, too. Google "self-massage" and you'll find plenty of pointers.

· I like Chicken
1,442 Posts
edhchoe said:
getting harder and bigger for sure.
That's what she said.

Any way to split it up and do some of the miles during the week?
Maybe that would give your muscles some time to recuperate.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Recovery rides help

edhchoe said:
I really enjoy group rides on weekends. During the week by the time I get home the group rides are long gone. I don't want to do solo. Should I?
And on a solo ride you can pace yourself. Your overuse injuries may be a result of going so hard to keep up with a group. Solo rides have their own charms.

So my advice would be "yes, you should."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.