Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sun over the decades has had its way with my arms. While I have applied an SPF55+ the cumulative effects continue. The derm has already removed enough blotches without issue. His suggestion was to alter my riding time or wear long sleeves.

Most the jerseys I've come across seem to be thicker for the fall-winter months. Any sources for thinner jerseys?

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
I have a superlight jersey from Canari and I learned that I still need to wear sunscreen with it. I sometimes use DeSoto arm coolers, which are better at sun protection.

Your sunscreen itself is probably part of the problem. Chemical sunscreens become de-activated in sunlight pretty quickly. They are a lot messier, but sunscreens with titanium and/or zinc oxide are photostable. Neutrogena's SPF 30 Sensitive Skin is an example of an easily found sunscreen with a physical blocker.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

Those arm coolers will be useful. I'll look into the zinc oxide and titanium body sunscreen versions. The ones for the face work great , they just don't breathe well. :(

·
Registered
459 Posts
Long sleeve base layers...

Living in SoCal and not being a huge fan of the sun, I always ride with thin base layers... even when it's hot (80+ degrees) out.

I like UnderArmor's white long sleeve ones very well, but have also been happy with some from Jockey and Champion.

Keeps the sun off of my arms, wicks away the sweat, keeps the stink in the base layer and not in the jersey, let's me wear my favorite short sleeve jerseys... all good reasons to give it a try.

The sun's a killer... be careful out there!

·
dog is my copilot
137 Posts
+1 for thin base layers under a jersey. I'm fair haired and skinned and the sun scares me so I wear a base layer every time I'm on the bike, and most of the time off the bike too. I have a couple of Under Armour Heatgear long sleeve tops and like them. This year I've been wearing lightweight MTS long sleeve tops from REI and like them more than the UA stuff. I've worn them in the 90s and still been about as comfortable as you can be in those temps.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:thumbsup: This is great! I'll look into the Under Armour shirts. :) This makes me very happy.
With summer I try to time my rides to limit the sun exposure. Winter I'm covered up so it's not as much an issue.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Under Armour are everywhere and I picked some up. Very nice though I do get a bit warmish with two layers on the trunk. Not bad with a good breeze. When I get back and remove the jersey, these things really feel good in evaporating the sweat. I'm almost tempted to ask our local fitter/tailor to put some small rear pockets on to hold my keys and such so it can be worn as is.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Lots of good suggestions here.

Not to thread jack, but along the same lines...what do you folks do about the top of your thighs? I've tried every sunscreen I can find, and none of them seem to work as well as I'd like.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.