Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got new rims and my kinda thick brass valve extender doesn't fit in the valve hole. For now I'm running long valves but I'd like to switch to short valves that hide in the rim and use an extender to inflate them. Any recommendations for an extender that is close in diameter to a normal valve so it'll fit? I realize the other option is to drill the hole bigger.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Why use short valves and extenders? Just to save space in the saddle bag or pocket or whatever?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
The only thick ones I know of are Mavic. Every other one I've used has been the same as the valve stem on the tube. Vittoria, Bontrager, Zipp, Enve...they're all skinny.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why use short valves and extenders? Just to save space in the saddle bag or pocket or whatever?
Weight, aero, and looks. Why have a valve stem poking a centimeter or more out of your aero rims when you could cover the hole with black tape?

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thick ones I know of are Mavic. Every other one I've used has been the same as the valve stem on the tube. Vittoria, Bontrager, Zipp, Enve...they're all skinny.
Thanks. My too thick extender is a brass one that came with Spinergy wheels 15 years ago.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've not heard of this being done before - how do you get on with the short valve rattling around inside the rim and how good a seal do you get when trying to screw on the extender for inflation?

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rattling is only caused by a full length valve bumping against the sides of the outer rim hole. You can eliminate this by wrapping a little electrical tape around the valve but a short valve that doesn't reach the outer wall doesn't have that problem. Wrapping a little teflon tape around the part of the valve where the extender screws on (the threads a valve cap uses) creates an air tight seal.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Wasn't sure if it would rattle on the internal hole.
i dont wrap my long valve in tape, but do push a small square of it down over the valve and stick it to the rim (similar to how you would cover the hole in your situation) which works well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts