Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Ya'll,

I was just curious if anyone caught the press release or the 2005 UTT...aka the United Texas Tour. The event will is planned for the dates between the San Francisco Grand Prix and Worlds. The exact stages aren't available yet but is 1000 miles and the buzz is that it will have the largest purse of any stage race in the United States.

The title sponsor is using the paltform as a cancer fund raiser and the event has a strong LAF tie-in as they will help organize the event. For all of those who remember the Tour of Texas I can only say that I hope this event is bigger and better. We need some more Euro homeboys coming to our side of the pond to race.

http://www.unitedtexastour.com/

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jed Peters said:
I thought this one:

http://www.tourdecal.com/

was the world's richest?

Good to have more large cycling events again!

In Texas I've discovered that "The first liar always loses".......hopefully both will be a huge success. I just hope you know who, (LA) really gets behind this because as much as I love France I'd like to see some Tube Top wearin' white trash tifosi running beside Cipo.

I can hear it now...Phil and Paul talking about the Col de la Shady Acres trailer court. "Yes Phil, I've heard this region of Texas produces the highest quality of methamphetimines of any place in the world" or "Paul they appear to be sprinting for a points banner...but wait it's a roadside beef jerky ahead sign....what a horrible mistake".

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
teoteoteo said:
In Texas I've discovered that "The first liar always loses".......hopefully both will be a huge success. I just hope you know who, (LA) really gets behind this because as much as I love France I'd like to see some Tube Top wearin' white trash tifosi running beside Cipo.

I can hear it now...Phil and Paul talking about the Col de la Shady Acres trailer court. "Yes Phil, I've heard this region of Texas produces the highest quality of methamphetimines of any place in the world" or "Paul they appear to be sprinting for a points banner...but wait it's a roadside beef jerky ahead sign....what a horrible mistake".
Richarson Bike Mart(Lances first LBS) has a jersey and posters promoting it. I'd like to drive sag for this.

·
Registered
193 Posts
They should really call this the North/West Texas Tour! Look at those towns! As a West Texas boy, I would like to see some of the worlds best riders tackle the wind on the South Plains! :)

The only real climbs will be the Llano Estacado rim and around Canyon. Otherwise it's generally flat.

Early Fall eh? Better watch out or they'll mess with the traditional Hotter 'n Hell Hundred!

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
teoteoteo said:

My god, that was REALLY funny.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
I was in the promo video they shot for this 2 weeks ago

It was north of Dallas about 45 minutes. It was a real blast doing sprinting hill intervals into a headwind with no warmup in the 40 degree weather for two hours behind a camera truck. I was the one in the dark blue jersey quickly dropping down the peleton as the road and pace picked up :) At least I got a jersey out of the deal.

The press conference was Tuesday in downtown Dallas. They said the video they shot would be posted, but it's not there yet. I talked to the organizers a lot and they put this race at this time so the riders would have to deal with the heat and wind in west Texas. They also said LA is "totally committed", but could not say whether he would be riding or not. They have the support of USAC and guys from the Tour de Georgia were on board with some of the organizing help. I asked them why they picked this route and it is because that is where most of their supermarket business is, and they hoped that this would get their name out enough to allow them to expand into DFW more than their 1 store.

If anyone wants to volunteer or sponsor, they were practically begging people to sign up on the website. "Put your name and contact info in and you will definitely be contacted," was their direct quote. I'll do the sag in this with Dave Hickey too. We can use my Tahoe if you like.

I think this race is a great idea. Even if it's only one year, it will be fun to watch. Let's hope it catches on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.