Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so it didn't bang in the night, or even bang on the group ride, it went much more subtly on the group ride, but go she did. The flange on the drive side of my rear Bontrager X-Light wheel cracked. So, I need a new wheelset.

Now, I was to be taking these bontragers to climb the Dolomites this summer, so, the new wheels would also be going to climb the Dolomites this summer (depart July 5). So I am looking for light weight. I'm also pretty light: 145lbs or a little less.

Now, I like what I've read here about Ligero, but I don't know if the wheels would be ready in time. Anybody want to comment on how long it has taken their wheels to arrive?

Am I going to run into issues with custom hoops?

Any other input would be appreciated. :D

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Asiago said:
Okay, so it didn't bang in the night, or even bang on the group ride, it went much more subtly on the group ride, but go she did. The flange on the drive side of my rear Bontrager X-Light wheel cracked. So, I need a new wheelset.

Now, I was to be taking these bontragers to climb the Dolomites this summer, so, the new wheels would also be going to climb the Dolomites this summer (depart July 5). So I am looking for light weight. I'm also pretty light: 145lbs or a little less.

Now, I like what I've read here about Ligero, but I don't know if the wheels would be ready in time. Anybody want to comment on how long it has taken their wheels to arrive?

Am I going to run into issues with custom hoops?

Any other input would be appreciated. :D
It'd be best to call Ligero to see what he says. Maybe he could accomodate your time schedule. His phone number and email addy are here. You might also try pm'ing Ergott or giving him a call. His contact info is here.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For future

alienator said:
It'd be best to call Ligero to see what he says. Maybe he could accomodate your time schedule. His phone number and email addy are here. You might also try pm'ing Ergott or giving him a call. His contact info is here.
I had a message into ligero. However, I have found out that Bontrager is sending me a new wheel despite my warranty being long-expired. So, it will be interesting to think more about new wheels at a more relaxed pace...

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
curlybike said:
The rule is: Light, strong, cheap, PICK TWO!
The funny thing about rules is that they don't always apply, and they certainly don't apply to everything. What's really funny is that the Bontrager rule really only applies to Bontrager crap, like his disintegrating Bontrager rear hubs. You can get stuff that is much lighter than Bontrager's, way cheaper, and magnitudes more durable.....like everyday durable.

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
alienator said:
Ask Troy about the knitted wheelbag option since you have time. Hopefully the new Bonty doesn't go the way the first did. Ligero builds some very stiff, strong, light and dependable wheels.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
Ask Troy about the knitted wheelbag option since you have time. Hopefully the new Bonty doesn't go the way the first did. Ligero builds some very stiff, strong, light and dependable wheels.
+1 on the knitted wheelbags. He's now offering the wheelbags in a special series wherein each wheelbag has, in batik, the image of one of the characters from Beverly Hills 90210. Very nice.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'm not complaining about my bontys

alienator said:
Actually, you can have all three.....just not in a Bontrager product.
The wheels have been good. Stiff and plenty light. Maybe I could complain about them if Bontrager hasn't gone out of their way to take care of me. The wheels are over a year out of warranty so they had no reason to offer me a replacement wheel at no cost.

Ligero. Well, still hasn't returned my call. At least I'm not in a rush.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.