Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in town September 24-26. I'll be in town for a long weekend. My brother lives there but he's lame. I need my own ideas for things to do.

I'd love to go for a ride but won't be bringing a bike. Can anyone spot me a 58cm?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
I'm in Bloomington, just to the south. My road bike is being rebuilt, so I'm currently getting by on my kind of road-ified track bike. All out of loaners, I'm afraid.

There are several Indy locals on the forum, I'm betting they'll have some suggestions about activities.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
Shop at Nordstroms?

(Sort of a private joke--my wife was in the UK and I happened to be in Indy--she directed me to follow this advice, and I bought her an outfit that was well received...)

They saved the old train station (full of the usual botique-y shops) & I have fond memories of the Zoo....

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Visit Peyton Manning and give him a wedgie.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
What kinds of things are you interested in/do you like doing? What side of town will you be staying?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
All my bikes are57.5's. Where will u be?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
last time I was in Indy

we had some time and said, let's go play some hoop. Indiana is the B-Ball capitol of the world, it should be easy to find some courts. Gawd, impossible to find an outdoor hoop court in the friggin epicenter of basketball, the home state of the Bird!
We finally found some in Wes Montgomery Park, on a weekend. Had a blast, as close as I've ever been to feeling like I was in a rap video.

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be staying on the south side in Greenwood.

I prefer outdoor stuff given the choice.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
With apologies to Warren Zevon....

I called up my friend LeRoy on the phone
I said, Buddy, I'm afraid to be alone
'Cause I got some weird ideas in my head
About things to do in Indy when you're dead

I was working on a steak the other day
And I saw Waddy in the Santa Fe Cafe
Dressed in black, tossing back a shot of rye
Finding things to do in Indy when you die

You won't need a cab to find a priest
Maybe you should find a place to stay
Some place where they never change the sheets
And you just roll around Indy all day

LeRoy says there's something you should know
Not everybody has a place to go
And home is just a place to hang your head
And dream of things to do in Indy when you're dead

You won't need a cab to find a priest
Maybe you should find a place to stay
Some place where they never change the sheets
And you just roll around Indy all day
You just roll around Indy all day

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Unfortunately, Indy is not a very outdoorsy type place, but you might check out Eagle Creek Park on Indy's NW side, as well as Brown County State Park and Morgan Monroe State Forest to the south of Greenwood in Nashville and Martinsville, respectively. The art museum, on the near north side of Indy, is actually very nice and sits on a sizeable nature reserve. Downtown is also nice enough for a long walk. There's a canal walk and the area around the Zoo (which is nice, too) is worth visiting. I'll have to see what's on the calendar for those dates.

Girchy and I actually live just south of Greenwood, but we're going to be in Oregon that week. Hopefully, Len can hook you up with a bike.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
As Indy said, the Indianapolis Museum of Art is great. They just opened an outdoor art & nature park called 100 Acres, and the rest of the campus (including the museum itself, grounds, and greenhouse) is very nice. It's all free.

If you're into architecture you can head south to Columbus and take the tour from the Visitor's Center. It's a pretty little city. Eat at Dimitri's just east of I-65, om nom nom.

·
9,790 Posts
Go to DG Bicycles at 86th street & the Monon. Rent a mountain bike. Go to Southwestway Park off of Mann Rd. Ride, grin, repeat.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
PlatyPius said:
Go to DG Bicycles at 86th street & the Monon. Rent a mountain bike. Go to Southwestway Park off of Mann Rd. Ride, grin, repeat.
If he were to rent a bike on the northside, then the singletrack at Town Run might be more convenient. I don't MTB so I have no idea how the trails compare.

·
9,790 Posts
indysteel said:
If he were to rent a bike on the northside, then the singletrack at Town Run might be more convenient. I don't MTB so I have no idea how the trails compare.
Last I heard, most of Town Run was still closed.

OP: Since you'll be in Greenwood anyway, stop in at Gray Goat - right on 31 just south of the 465 ramps. Talk to Freddie. No real reason; Freddie's just cool, is all. Maybe he has a 58 you could ride on one of their group rides.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
ARP said:
JK, it used to be a big deal in Indy.

Is the Major Taylor velodrome still open?
yeah, hosting the collegiate track nat's next month.

It's a pretty nice track and Ken N., the track manager, is a helluva fitter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
PlatyPius said:
Last I heard, most of Town Run was still closed.

OP: Since you'll be in Greenwood anyway, stop in at Gray Goat - right on 31 just south of the 465 ramps. Talk to Freddie. No real reason; Freddie's just cool, is all. Maybe he has a 58 you could ride on one of their group rides.
Freddy will actually rent you the Specialized Demo bike for $20 or so bucks, you could hit Southwestway Park from there.. or better yet, Brown County.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Eat at Shapiro's Deli near the stadium. Best.Reuben.Ever

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
You could mow Indy and Girchy's yard...since I "forgot" when I was up.

Or you could do Antonio_B. NTTAWWT!

Or you could see how many RBRers you can take out on a bike....Ooops, that was me.

:D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I live on the west side of Greenwood....

Here's some things to do:
1. eat/drink/live music: Slippery Noodle Inn (it's a live blues bar/grill - the oldest in Indiana I think) located downtown. Awesome.

2. Tour the Indianapolis 500 museum. It's a good hour or two to walk thru the exhibit, and it's pretty cheap - maybe $5. You can also take a lap around the track for a few more bucks, in a tour bus.

3. The Indianpolis Childrens Museum. It's fun for adults too. You could easily spend a full day here. Gotta be the biggest childrens museum in the world.

4. Walk/ride the canal. Park your car downtown... I suggest parking at the zoo for about $4. Then, bike along the canal. It's a good 15 mile ride, round trip. Also connects into White Water State Park area, also downtown, next to the zoo.

5. Whitland (a town about 12 minute drive south of Greenwood) Go-kart track. For about $40, you get three rides, I think, in 40mph go carts. very fun. Did I mention the high banked turn?

6. Walk around the downtown area. It's safe, even at night, full of bars and clubs, and people. Don't forget to visit the "circle", the dead center of Indianapolis. It's fun at night.

7. Bazbauex Pizza on Massachusetts ave, just a little north east of downtown. ( I think I spelled it right...)

8. North side of downtown is known as "Broadripple". Lots of comedy clubs, bars, eats. Artsy-Fartsy somewhat, but still fun to visit.

9. Eagle Creek Park on the west side of Indy. Cost's a few dollars to get in, but nice place to ride a bike, and is next to the Colts training-headquarters.

10. Major Taylor Veledrome on the NW side of town. It's not always open, but if it is, you can ride laps on a world class facility.

...there's a few ideas....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts