Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting rear-ended about a month ago, I got a rental car. It was a Chevy Cobalt, even though my car was an Accord. I didn't bother complaining as the shop was going to be done in a few days.
It was cute and peppy, but when I went to drive-thru and had to roll down the window, I realized that I had to crank it. Then I had to manually lock/unlock the car. My 6 yr. old couldn't understand why there "weren't any buttons."
It got me thinking that now-days these 2 things should be standard on every car regardless of price point.
..And some other things I think we should be seeing.
1. Change-able dash light colors. They can do it on after market car stereos, why not be able to change the colors by a rotating knob?
2. Hardwood floors.
3. Brake lights that get brighter or darker red when pedal pressure is increased. This would tell drivers behind you that you are slammin' on the brakes. Years ago I saw a news story about a high-schooler that invented this for a science project. The car makers said they'd look at it...
4. Adjustable tinted windows. If it's a bright day, then you could darken the windows with a dial.

I think it's ridiculous that the prices for cars keep going up and there are no real advances sans eeeking out more horse power, which is completely useless.
No sedan or car needs more than 270-300hp. You'll never use it. It's time they stop with the engines and start with better options.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Umm, no mid-size sedan needs more than 100 hp, to be totally honest. 300 hp is retarded. As for your "standard features", they're just more stuff to go wrong. Give me a car with manual windows, manual locks, and no frills (heck, chuck the a/c to save a hundred pounds or so) and I'll be happy. I guess that's why I'm driving a 1994 civic dx... which makes about 85 hp and does just fine if you wind it out a bit. :p Oh, and the consistent 40 mpg is hard to beat too.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Seeing the light

maximum7 said:
3. Brake lights that get brighter or darker red when pedal pressure is increased...
How about just plain old lights on the cars that do not burn out in the first year. Next time you are driving look at how many late model cars have one or more burned out tail/head lights. It is incredible with all this so called technology that they cannot make a car with lights that last.

I do not recall every having to replace any of the bulbs on my 1968 Cutlass over the decade it was driven. And none of the Honda products in our house have ever needed new bulbs in all the years they have been driven.

With regard to power windows, locks, etc. - one less thing to install/assemble and one less thing to break. Good education for your kid that not everything in life needs to come from the push of a button (good education for you too). Sometimes the simple life can be good Paris - Shimano can keep their electric shifters.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
maximum7 said:
1. Change-able dash light colors. They can do it on after market car stereos, why not be able to change the colors by a rotating knob?
2. Hardwood floors.
3. Brake lights that get brighter or darker red when pedal pressure is increased. This would tell drivers behind you that you are slammin' on the brakes. Years ago I saw a news story about a high-schooler that invented this for a science project. The car makers said they'd look at it...
4. Adjustable tinted windows. If it's a bright day, then you could darken the windows with a dial.
1) Ford Mustang.
2) Many concept cars have had this, impractical for real use IMO.
3) BMW and/or Mercedes had this.
4) Some German luxury manufacturers have done this as well. Or Ferrari. I know at least a few manufacturers have used electrochromatic windows.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
maximum7 said:
2. Hardwood floors.
1. I agree, but I see it as the light on the front of my desktop's case. I set it once and forgot about it. Perhaps it should be an option when you buy the car.

2. Hardwood floors adds a ton of weight. While it might look nice in some cars, I think most would agree it has no real practicality and doesn't fit with the modern finish most companies are going for.

3. Bad idea. One of the biggest reasons the brake light is an on - off thing is because you want the person behind to take notice no matter how much you are braking. What is a good idea is going the route of the Euros and implement a rear fog light / bright white light for when you slam on the brakes.

4. Definately but it will never happen. State laws are against putting tinted windows on a car because it lets them profile the driver... I mean it is unsafe. Tinted window laws are just as stupid as front plate laws.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Here's mine:

One single, standardized seatbelt buckle design.

There is nothing worse than trying to get unstrapped in a rental car, or a friend's car or whatever and having to figure out just where they release button is being hidden this time.

I don't care who's design they pick as long as they just pick one and apply it universally. I'd be fine with the buckle design from airplanes if that means that all buckles we deal with open the same way.

Hardwood floors seem like a lousy idea when I consider all the salt, sand, snow and crap that gets tracked into my car all winter... but man would they be awesome in the back of my wagon.

Making the carpet removable for easy cleaning wouldn't be the worst thing.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Lots of dirt from sitting in driveways because their owners are out riding!

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
maximum7 said:
2. Hardwood floors.
3. Brake lights that get brighter or darker red when pedal pressure is increased. This would tell drivers behind you that you are slamming on the brakes. Years ago I saw a news story about a high-schooler that invented this for a science project. The car makers said they'd look at it...
1. Unnecessary. It is just another thing to have problems with.
2. Carpet deadens sound. It is part of the insulation that makes your car quiet.
3. Unnecessary. I just need to know that the other car is on the brakes. Many cars have different brightness levels and brake application rates, so this wouldn't necessarily tell me anything.
4. The windows like this would be nice. I just don't want to pay for it.

I avoid power windows and door locks. The crank ones work fine, and seldom have problems.

125 HP in a normal sedan is more than ample, and enough to be safe. More is more fun though, and I would buy it if I could afford it.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Plus, Ford used to have a heated front windshield that would melt ice and snow. You may have seen some old Ford boats with a gold tinted windshield, those were the ones with the heater.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
How about this for a concept. They give you the option of choosing your options. Now that's a novel idea. Oh, yeah, you don't say? Nevermind!

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
How about this for a concept. They give you the option of choosing your options. Now that's a novel idea. Oh, yeah, you don't say? Nevermind!
Does it make me old to say I really miss those days?

Why call them options if you can't get them without buying all of the "touring package"?

I'd like heated seats. I don't see why that means I have to buy an overpriced navigation system and wood-grain dash inserts as well.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Most manufacturers still allow you to pick and choose many options. Some do come in packages only but, thankfully, most of them are options you'd probably pick anyway. However, some are just dumb combos. It's always a struggle between the design, marketing and manufacturing departments.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
What about those new $2,000 cars from Japan? Practically golf carts, and they sound brilliant!

I love the idea of the most bare-bones basic car being available, no power nuthin' (well, maybe power steering/brakes) and a halfway decent stereo. Everything else- a/c, power windows, etc.- optional.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I want to see a governer that won't allow the vehicle to exceed the posted speed limit.

That would do a couple of things; overall it would slow down traffic AND it would shortly get a whole lot of speed limits revised upwards.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
maximum7 said:
2. Hardwood floors.
1. I've seen where people have changed the light color in their interiors because they didn't like the original color or they wanted to be different. Takes some time and elbow grease but it can be done on most cars quite easily.
2. Are you kidding me? My hardwood floors in my house are a PITA and a lot of maintenance. They reflect sound, too. Why don't manufacturers use rubber floors? Wipe them clean with a damp rag.
3. I think that having the third brake light flash when you press really hard on the brake pedal makes more sense. This should be a universal thing so that people know that a flashing third brake light means that the guy in front of you is hard on the brakes and that you should start to brake ASAP.
4. I think these are too expensive right now.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Geeze guys, put me on a stake!
The whole point was for others to come up with things, ideas, that you'd like to see on cars INSTEAD of just horsepower.
I'll ignore the man up comments and the education benefits of not having buttons. If only you knew...
All of my ideas are extremely fantanstic and not any poorer than what we already have on cars.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
maximum7 said:
Geeze guys, put me on a stake! ....
Dude!

This is the interwebs, even better/worse Teh Lounge.

You take what you can get and you had better like it!!!

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
maximum7 said:
All of my ideas are extremely fantanstic and not any poorer than what we already have on cars.
Arrogant much?

Most of your ideas are not things I would be willing to pay for in a car. I don't want what you want. What are you gonna do about it?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.