Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know wheels and aero frames are the hot topic in going faster but I ride mostly in the hoods. Today I experimented with forcing myself to ride in the drops(almost a full 40 mile ride). Unlike previous times it didn't bother me. I felt more stable and faster all the things riding in the drops is supposed to accomplish. Feels like a new toy to play with. Guess an old dog can learn new tricks. Is anyone in the same boat?

Want to ride faster? Hunker down on the hoods, say researchers | road.cc

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I naturally like to ride low on the hoods because for me it's more comfortable than the drops.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Yea I can do drops for longer stints, need to here in the Great Plains with our surface winds....the not-quite-praying-mantis however makes my forearms sore in short order on real life sub-ideal roads.

Problem with that study....their ideal position, from what little I can gather since I'm locked out behind a login screen, is based on probably having 6" of saddle/bar drop and stem slammed to the headset. Most rec riders, even racers are probably not fit such that riding in that position they have a flat back

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
So was it the link you posted saying the hoods are more aero that made you force yourself to ride in the drops to be more aero? I'm confused.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was curious to see how much less effort riding in the drops required. I had thought it was mostly for descents. And you mean drops re more aero, right?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Was curious to see how much less effort riding in the drops required. I had thought it was mostly for descents. And you mean drops re more aero, right?
I didn't mean to say anything about which is more Aero. I don't know. But what I suspect is the most Aero position for a rider is the most Aero position for a rider and for some most aero is drops, hoods for others, tops for some, and it might not matter for others because they can get an equally aero position in either.

Given that people are all different sizes and they can set there bars just about anywhere it doesn't make much sense to try and say either is more aero as a blanket statement IMO.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I didn't mean to say anything about which is more Aero. I don't know. But what I suspect is the most Aero position for a rider is the most Aero position for a rider and for some most aero is drops, hoods for others, tops for some, and it might not matter for others because they can get an equally aero position in either.

Given that people are all different sizes and they can set there bars just about anywhere it doesn't make much sense to try and say either is more aero as a blanket statement IMO.
True, the positioning of the upper body might be almost exactly the same on hoods as in drops, but I've always felt the forearms are a little less aero and create a bit more drag on the hoods. Notice how many racers after going into a full tuck move their arms in, gripping the bars right next to the stem?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
What that article says is, for road bike, emulating TT position is the most aero. It's on the hood with forearms horizontal to ground as if using aero bars.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've generally preferred the hoods, however I suppose a good deal of the comfort or lack of comfort when riding in the drops is probably governed by the shape of the handlebars chosen, bike geometry and of course flexibility of the rider. On the bar that originally came with my Trek 5200 I was not remotely capable of staying in hoods much at all. It wasn't right for my hands and it brought me down too low.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
tops may be more aero than in the drops if the bar is upside down. barring that not so much.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
tops may be more aero than in the drops if the bar is upside down. barring that not so much.
It's pretty easy to get just as low by bending the elbows. And brining your arms in closer together as compared to in the drops can't hurt. So not sure why you would think that but whatever.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I know wheels and aero frames are the hot topic in going faster but I ride mostly in the hoods. Today I experimented with forcing myself to ride in the drops(almost a full 40 mile ride). Unlike previous times it didn't bother me. I felt more stable and faster all the things riding in the drops is supposed to accomplish. Feels like a new toy to play with. Guess an old dog can learn new tricks. Is anyone in the same boat?

Want to ride faster? Hunker down on the hoods, say researchers | road.cc
It's more aero to ride on the hoods with your forearms parallel to the ground.

I only ride in the drops when sprinting or cornering.

Edit: And that's exactly what your link says. So why were you in the drops again? I don't get it.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I do a ride a week after work that's around 20 miles all in the drops. I use them often, I like the position. It helps a lot in headwinds, but obviously desending. I've been working in standing sprints from the drops a lot lately. I don't really rest on the bar ends either, I'm usually up in the front, elbows bent, paying attention to supporting my position with my core instead of my arms (you can pull weight off your hand/bar grip to make sure, I don't know that I'm explaining that well...). I absolutely love the SRAM double tap shifters because I can pull the paddle back with finger tip and have shifting as easy as on the hoods. Braking with just pointer fingers took a little getting used to but its second nature now.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
It's more aero to ride on the hoods with your forearms parallel to the ground.
I think the sheer volume of variables at play make that a highly suspect statement. "I'm more aero, I suspect, on the hoods with my gore arms parallel to the ground" is fair. I'm more aero in the drops, chin low, cat back. I'm typically a shift or two difference with same effort into a headwind. Arms/elbows in (always).

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I think the sheer volume of variables at play make that a highly suspect statement. "I'm more aero, I suspect, on the hoods with my gore arms parallel to the ground" is fair. I'm more aero in the drops, chin low, cat back. I'm typically a shift or two difference with same effort into a headwind. Arms/elbows in (always).
Well, no. Which is why most everyone you see on tv riding fast does it like that (unless cornering or bumping).

You achieve an upper body position. That position can be maintained either in the drops with lower arms at an angle, or on the hoods with lower arms parallel to the ground.

Forearms parallel means less frontal area which means less drag which means faster.

Your chin and back (and head) are not really in play here. They should be taken care of regardless of where your lower arms and hands are if you're really trying to be fast.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Well, no. Which is why most everyone you see on tv riding fast does it like that (unless cornering or bumping).

You achieve an upper body position. That position can be maintained either in the drops with lower arms at an angle, or on the hoods with lower arms parallel to the ground.

Forearms parallel means less frontal area which means less drag which means faster.

Your chin and back (and head) are not really in play here. They should be taken care of regardless of where your lower arms and hands are if you're really trying to be fast.
I'm not following you? Your post is wandering and sketchy... No snark meant, it's just hard to follow. "You achieve an upper body position" for example, well, yes, you can ride a hybrid or a bmx bike, you still achieve an upper body position?

"Which is why most everyone you see on tv riding fast does it like that." Well, like what, on what tv? I see riders in races in the drops a really lot.

Your forearms parallel can can definately make you more aero but is it more aero than in the drops? I think your physiology, your bike fit and set-up and your flexibility answer that question.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
It's pretty easy to get just as low by bending the elbows. And brining your arms in closer together as compared to in the drops can't hurt. So not sure why you would think that but whatever.
unless you just want to rest the arms on top of the handlebars then you can only bend them so much before there's no space anymore.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
"Which is why most everyone you see on tv riding fast does it like that." Well, like what, on what tv? I see riders in races in the drops a really lot.
Here's a video of Giro d'Italia 2016 stage 15, individual time trial uphill.
They use road bike for this and since there is no peloton to draft, aero position is more critical. Look which part of the bar their hands are on.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts