Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think these are buyer scams? The only info they have asked for is my address and phone number, information that is available in the phone book.

#1 I posted an ad on MTBR selling a WTB saddle for $20 plus $5 shipping (to continental US). I received the following e-mail.

Hello,
My name is Donnel Cruz.How are you and everything over there?I am interested in your ( WTB Saddle SST.K ) and i like to know the actual selling price.
I have gone thru the advert and everything seems perfect and exactly what i needed. I will like to know if it's still available for sale and wants you to know that i will be paying with a cashier's check,personal check or money order,therefore i will need your full name,contact address and phone number for the payment arrangement.
In regards to the shippment,i have contacted my shipper and he will be making arrangement for the pick up from your place as soon as the check or money order clear your bank and the transaction must have been completed.
I hope to read back from you ASAP.
Regards,
Donnel Cruz.

The return address is [email protected].

#2 I posted an ad on MTBR selling a Redline BMX bicycle for $240 plus $35 shipping (to continental US). I received the following e-mail.

Do you still have your " 2005 Redline Proline Expert " for sale.i reside in Michigan may i know more of its condition,pics and your Last asking price.i shall made out a certified cheque and foward to you ,shippment/inspection will be taken care of by my shipper after payment has been made to you . let me now if still available and get back to me with the following:
Your full Name......
Full Postal address.........
City.......... zip code...........
Telephone & your Last offer........

so we can complete the transaction and arrange pick up at your own conviniences.i wish for a prospective business relationship.

i await your positive reply.
Eric

What can they do with my name and address?

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
MrEason said:
Think these are buyer scams? The only info they have asked for is my address and phone number, information that is available in the phone book.

#1 I posted an ad on MTBR selling a WTB saddle for $20 plus $5 shipping (to continental US). I received the following e-mail.

Hello,
My name is Donnel Cruz.How are you and everything over there?I am interested in your ( WTB Saddle SST.K ) and i like to know the actual selling price.
I have gone thru the advert and everything seems perfect and exactly what i needed. I will like to know if it's still available for sale and wants you to know that i will be paying with a cashier's check,personal check or money order,therefore i will need your full name,contact address and phone number for the payment arrangement.
In regards to the shippment,i have contacted my shipper and he will be making arrangement for the pick up from your place as soon as the check or money order clear your bank and the transaction must have been completed.
I hope to read back from you ASAP.
Regards,
Donnel Cruz.

#2 I posted an ad on MTBR selling a Redline BMX bicycle for $240 plus $35 shipping (to continental US). I received the following e-mail.

Do you still have your " 2005 Redline Proline Expert " for sale.i reside in Michigan may i know more of its condition,pics and your Last asking price.i shall made out a certified cheque and foward to you ,shippment/inspection will be taken care of by my shipper after payment has been made to you . let me now if still available and get back to me with the following:
Your full Name......
Full Postal address.........
City.......... zip code...........
Telephone & your Last offer........

so we can complete the transaction and arrange pick up at your own conviniences.i wish for a prospective business relationship.

i await your positive reply.
Eric

What can they do with my name and address?
Both of these are scams. They can do nothing with your address. What they want to do is send you a counterfeit cashiers check for several thousand dollars more that the item you are selling, have you cash the check and send the difference (excess or shippers funds) to them via Western Union.

If you do nothing, nothing will happen. They scour the for sale ads in many different categories, send out 100's of e-mails every day and hope that some fish will bite. You are only one among many they have contacted.

It's to a point now that anytime I post an item for sale, I expect to get about 75% scam e-mails in response. It's almost discouraging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the confirmation

Thanks for the confirmation. After continuing to research the various scams here, on MTBR, and on E-Bay, I concluded that was probably the situation with these two.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.