Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the very early research/long range planning stage for a 700c sport-tourer. Considering Ebisu and Waterford. I love my Rivs but man are the custom ones expensive. Please share what you did right and wish you did better. Gracias.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
rcnute said:
I am in the very early research/long range planning stage for a 700c sport-tourer. Considering Ebisu and Waterford. I love my Rivs but man are the custom ones expensive. Please share what you did right and wish you did better. Gracias.
Living where you (and I) do, I would go with Hampsten. I would suggest going to the Cascade Bike Expo next month and checking out the displays from local builders, it was very extensive last year.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I ordered my first custom in january. It'll be here in august.

In researching builders, here's what I found (YMMV)-

I found it was important to find a builder near me- I was able to meet with him face to face and see what he was working on. Just going to his website didn't tell me a whole lot, but seeing his shop I got to see that he was working on several projects just like what I was looking for.

You've got to be really honest with yerself when you start filling out the order form and telling the builder what you want, and expect to second guess yerself alot.

Yer wife or girlfriend/SO will probably not measure you right. If yer builder offers to get your measurements himself. take him up on that offer.

I got this advice from someone else and it made a big difference- Focus. Don't try to create a bike that will do everything- you can't optimize yer geometry/rake/trail/tubeset to work perfectly with every tire from a 23 to a 42. Focus on what's really important. For me, that was realizing that what I'm looking for is a light-weight all-weather, all-road bike with a limited ability to carry bags.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
That is a good decision.

After decades of thinking custom had no benifits for me I did it any way.

Boy did I waste those decades.

Some tips;
1) Don't go cheap, get all the bells and whistles you dream of or you will regret it later and get another custom. It is a lot cheaper to do it right the first time.

2) I do love Waterford.

3) I do love my Waterfords.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts