Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
For me, it was not. I got a good deal on an in-stock bike, equipped with Avid Shorty 4s. To order the model with discs, it would have cost me significantly more, and hence I decided it was not worth it.

I think I might have preferred discs (though they are heavier), but the "frugal" side of me said no. My frame and fork have disc tabs, if I ever change my mind - though I would need new hubs as well.

I've been happy with the BB7s on my MTB for the last few years though.

What kind of riding do you plan to use the new CX bike for?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rkj__ said:
For me, it was not. I got a good deal on an in-stock bike, equipped with Avid Shorty 4s. To order the model with discs, it would have cost me significantly more, and hence I decided it was not worth it.

I think I might have preferred discs (though they are heavier), but the "frugal" side of me said no. My frame and fork have disc tabs, if I ever change my mind - though I would need new hubs as well.

I've been happy with the BB7s on my MTB for the last few years though.

What kind of riding do you plan to use the new CX bike for?
light trail riding with the kids, (I borrowed a friends CX bike for a trip down a rails to trails bike trail and it was perfect)
A little commuting in foul weather
Racing in the Winter

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Its not a quick question. There are several lengthy and contentious threads on this board about disc brakes on CX bikes. They are desired by some but not required by most.

The UCI doesn't allow them in sanctioned races, which is irrelevant to most people.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Its not a quick question. There are several lengthy and contentious threads on this board about disc brakes on CX bikes. They are desired by some but not required by most.

The UCI doesn't allow them in sanctioned races, which is irrelevant to most people.
I don't even know if the local cyclocross races are UCI sponsored.

did a search on "discs", it's almost as amusing as a search on "CF frames"

my only thought here was that a disc setup would be better for a maintenance standpoint if I ride alot in inclement weather. specifically wear on the rims. but that was just a thought.

I have an old school mountain bike (circa 1983 specialized rockhopper), and the canti brakes are strong, but finicky to setup.

·
Registered
150 Posts
not to be glib, but it's really personal preference. as long as you aren't racing UCI rules events, then it's up to you if the positive qualities of disc brakes are worth the extra weight and cost.

I have discs on my mtb, canti's on my CX bikes. I think discs on a CX bike could be nice for general purpose riding, not sure if I would get them for racing. I wouldn't rule them out , though I'm ok with canti's.

-marc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.