Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently using campy nucleons circa 2001-2 I'm guessing they're coming in at 1575-80g. I was thinking about getting a wheelset built up around extralight sr/sl hubs, pillar 1422 spokes, and kinlin 270 rims.

I would be going from rims that are 18mm to 27mm not sure if that is a too important but the wheelset should be around 1300g maybe a bit lighter.

Anyone have any experience with extralight hubs, good, bad, otherwise or comments on the wheelset?:7:

oops maybe I should have reread the thread title, carp

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
IMO those hubs and spokes don't really make sense unless you are putting together a 12lb bike... and then you will be looking for light tubular rims as well. I'd suggest Alchemy hubs and CX-Rays. If you really need them light, opt for the XR200 rims. My set with Alchemys weighs 1267g.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Make sure you know the downsides to ti spokes. The wheel will be significantly less stiff and in my opinion, the weight savings isn't worth it. I build a set of wheels for myself with those spokes and ended up rebuilding them with steel spokes shortly after.

-Eric

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
I agree with all of the above post. I have rarely built with ti spokes, and for the most part I have heard nothing but bad things. They may shave a small bit of weight but your making the wheel alot flexier.
Concerning overall wheel weight, Valley is right in saying 200s would be the way to go. You would actually be able to feel this weight when riding (especially sprinting)

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, shows how much I know:p

I'll stick with the Sapim CX's then, I guess that is why everyone uses them.

So what I am getting is a lower rim weight is going to give me more bang for my buck performance-wise.

Is there no aero advantage to a 27 or 30mm rim vs a 20mm?

Rruf suggested Alchemy hubs, how do those compare to the extralights or dt swiss, because I guess if hub weight isn't as big of a factor as I thought I guess I'm looking for what offers good durability, bearing quality and gives a stiff wheel build(?):confused: .

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
The difference between the Kinlin XR200 and 270/300 from an aerodynamic stanpoint is minimal at best. I would be willing to bet that it would be less than 1 watt @ 50 km/hr. It is nothing you would notice.
Concerning the hubs, the Alchemys are going to be much higher quality than the DTs or the Extralites. Having a stiff hub is going to have much larger benefits than an uber-light one. Stiffness makes you faster than weight in most cases, and this is definitely one of them. Additionally, concerning durability, the Alchemys are in a league of their own.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
Cpk said:
Ok, shows how much I know:p

I'll stick with the Sapim CX's then, I guess that is why everyone uses them.

So what I am getting is a lower rim weight is going to give me more bang for my buck performance-wise.

Is there no aero advantage to a 27 or 30mm rim vs a 20mm?

Rruf suggested Alchemy hubs, how do those compare to the extralights or dt swiss, because I guess if hub weight isn't as big of a factor as I thought I guess I'm looking for what offers good durability, bearing quality and gives a stiff wheel build(?):confused: .

I could be wrong, but the Extralite hubs come with smaller bearings than Alchemy hubs.
My guess is that the bearings will have to be replaced more often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts