Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with these two disc wheel sets can opine how the ride may differ between the two on a gravel bike.

Mavic Kyrsium Pro Disc vs Enve 3.4 disc.

Will the differences be purely aero and a miniscule few grams or will one spin better or feel stiffer or climb better?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
What do you want from the wheelset? If it's ride quality, the tire and inflation will make a bigger difference than the wheelset. The low spoke count on those doesn't seem appropriate for gravel to me, more of a road wheel. Guess if you weight 130lbs they might work ok. I'd suggest looking at tubeless capable wheels for gravel too.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm at 150 lbs. This isn't a very serious discussion, just thinking about options should i have the urge to spend money on the bike in the coming year. May also think about changing over to dura ace 9120 over the current ultegra set i'm on for the bike. I do light gravel riding and use it as a winter bike. Mavic's do a good job, just wondering how the Enve's compare. Maybe a bit of buyer's remorse from when i built the bike. I'm not fixing anything glaring and honestly may not act on this, but am curious

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
None of the above.
Mavics just kind of suck, but work fine until they don't.
$3000 for high end aero rims doesn't make a lot of sense for "light gravel riding and use it as a winter bike." in my opinion. I think there's a picture of a lightly used 'winter bike' with enve smart wheels if you look up Fred in the dictionary.

24/28 spoke, White hubs, with the Hed alloy rim most appropriate for your tires choice would be a solid choice for light gravel and winter bike.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
which is why i never went enve when I had the chance. the only thing that truly bothers me is that i need the hex wrench to change a flat. the solution works, but i'm always worried that i'll somehow need to change the tire and find someone swiped my hex key, i like the thru-axle approach but wish i had the lever. i'm told there are some solutions that marry both, but that's not how my bike was done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.