Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No carbon fiber for me, I'm going to a custom built steel frame!

I don't race any more, so I'm canning the idea of a new carbon frame. I already have a 2006 Bianchi 1885 Alum/Hydro/Carbon (carbon seatstays and fork) which will continue to be my club road bike.

I want a classic steel frame, a work of art. Something I can continue to ride for years and not be concerned about upgrading every few years to the next " disposible" space age material. I don't want a room full of perfectly good bikes collecting dust just because they are not the flavor of the week.

So I think I'm going to go with a custom light weight steel frame by one of the premier frame builders and painters in the country, Chris Kvale in Minneapolis/St. Paul (also the home of Steve Hed Wheels).

Chris will talk with you, go on a ride with you on your present bike, and take measurements for a perfect bike fit.
Check out his web site below and let me know what you guys think

http://www.chriskvalecycles.com/CKC/Home.html

-Bill in St. Paul, MN

·
Registered
102 Posts
He's a legend in these parts

He was the gold standard in the Twin Cities for custom steel for a very long time. When I was a teenager starting out in the sport more than 25 years ago, he was making beautiful frames that we all coveted. I didn't know he was still building them. You don't see them around as much anymore. I couldn't comment on whether he's kept up with any innovations in framebuilding with steel. Have there even been any significant innovations in steel framebuilding over the last 25 years, other than better tubing? Anyway, certainly a reputable name and beautiful frames from an aesthetic standpoint.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yup..He's still building and painting frames

Kemmelberg said:
He was the gold standard in the Twin Cities for custom steel for a very long time. When I was a teenager starting out in the sport more than 25 years ago, he was making beautiful frames that we all coveted. I didn't know he was still building them. You don't see them around as much anymore. I couldn't comment on whether he's kept up with any innovations in framebuilding with steel. Have there even been any significant innovations in steel framebuilding over the last 25 years, other than better tubing? Anyway, certainly a reputable name and beautiful frames from an aesthetic standpoint.
Afew years ago He moved from his old shop on 42nd Street off Hiawatha, and into a larger space in an old industrial building near 26th Street and 26th Avenue. I was in his new shop last winter to see if he could pull the old crank off my Klein Quantum and install a new one. At that time we discussed the possibility him building me a custom frame.

I often see him cycling along Sibley highway or the East River Road in St. Paul. He only rides steel and still wears retro wool cycling clothing and a cycling cap, no helmet. He'll say he never WENT retro, he always WAS retro.

I'm 69 years old 5' 9" and 147 lbs and very fit from weight training, cycling and golf (I always walk the course).
So while I'm still young enough to ride at a high leveI, I think I'll go the way of the legend and buy a Kvale frame

He likes to go for a ride with his clients and get a feel for how they perform on their existing bike before starting on a frame. So I'd better get moving before it gets too cold to get in a comfortable ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts