Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying an Aegis road bike. I understand they are fairly well proven in TT and Tri circles...curious about what people have to say about their road frames. I'd also like to hear what people think about their TT frames. Trying to get a well rounded view of the frames and the company. I like the fact that they are made entirely in the USA - I'm pretty sure they are the only one's still doing that.
 

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
Aegis

GregPB said:
I'm thinking of buying an Aegis road bike. I understand they are fairly well proven in TT and Tri circles...curious about what people have to say about their road frames. I'd also like to hear what people think about their TT frames. Trying to get a well rounded view of the frames and the company. I like the fact that they are made entirely in the USA - I'm pretty sure they are the only one's still doing that.
I bought an Aegis Victory in May of 2003. I love it. Very light (too light for me since I weigh over 190), very stiff frame. I get a lot of attention on it since there aren't too many on the road. My frame is the black bionic open weave pro stock...or something like that - built with Campy Record, mostly.

I replaced a cracked Colnago ti frame with the Aegis. I wanted an American made frame for the warranty. On July 4th of 2004, while riding an 80 mile point to point ride, my top tube cracked. More like developed a crack longitudinally along the top. Luckily, I didnt' notice it until I was finished with the ride. I brought it back to my LBS, who shipped it to Aegis, who fixed it (vs. replacement on this occasion) and shipped it back to me all within 3 weeks. The only thing I paid for was one way of shipping @$35 !! The lifetime warranty actually means something with Aegis bikes. As for the finish on the repair - it looks like it always did.
As for the company, they are very good at responding to questions. I have had two or three email conversations with the company president. I posted a question on their homepage posting pages. The pres emailed me back. I can't recommend the frames enough. I don't own a TT frame so I'm no help there. I have seen a T-2 at a Tri I did last year...whoa!! Bright red...that was one hot looking bike!

Post any specific questions or PM me.

Paul
 

·
Home Brew User!
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
I have an older Aro Svelte, another good friend has an Aro Svelte and two other fiends have Victories.

I have the fewest miles of all (maybe 500) on mine. To the man they all love them. The Victories were bought new the Sveltes used.

Within the next month or so I will have mine built up as a Fixed/SS. They all have bolt on dropouts so you can order horizontal, 120 replacements from Aegis for less than $100. I will post pics when it's done.

One warning! They seemed to be oversized. Me and all 3 friends are all 6' to 6'1". The Victories are both 56's, mine is a 58 and the other is a 60. The 60 is really too big. One of the guys on the Victory is a racerboy type and wishes he had gotten a 54.

Call them directly and discuss sizing.

If you are looking at the Svelte I would suggest considering used. I got my frame, fork and 2 extra sets of dropout (1 horizontal, 1 vertical) on ebay for $450 shipped. It was an older model with the integrated seat binder, threaded stem and internal cabling. All things they have gone away from. For whatever reason the Svelte does not have a great resell price.

Good Luck and post a pic if you go for it!
 

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
Sizing..good point

Lifelover said:
I have an older Aro Svelte, another good friend has an Aro Svelte and two other fiends have Victories.

I have the fewest miles of all (maybe 500) on mine. To the man they all love them. The Victories were bought new the Sveltes used.

Within the next month or so I will have mine built up as a Fixed/SS. They all have bolt on dropouts so you can order horizontal, 120 replacements from Aegis for less than $100. I will post pics when it's done.

One warning! They seemed to be oversized. Me and all 3 friends are all 6' to 6'1". The Victories are both 56's, mine is a 58 and the other is a 60. The 60 is really too big. One of the guys on the Victory is a racerboy type and wishes he had gotten a 54.

Call them directly and discuss sizing.

If you are looking at the Svelte I would suggest considering used. I got my frame, fork and 2 extra sets of dropout (1 horizontal, 1 vertical) on ebay for $450 shipped. It was an older model with the integrated seat binder, threaded stem and internal cabling. All things they have gone away from. For whatever reason the Svelte does not have a great resell price.

Good Luck and post a pic if you go for it!
My old Colnago was a 58, my current rainy day bike is a 59, but my Aegis is a 56. It's just how they measure them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
GregPB said:
I'm thinking of buying an Aegis road bike. I understand they are fairly well proven in TT and Tri circles...curious about what people have to say about their road frames. I'd also like to hear what people think about their TT frames. Trying to get a well rounded view of the frames and the company. I like the fact that they are made entirely in the USA - I'm pretty sure they are the only one's still doing that.
Just to clear up one item, Calfee is also made in the USA and there are a few more small shops that build custom carbon in-house in the USA. Parlee is in Massachusetts and is a hand-maker of carbon frames. Craig Calfee is in California. You won't find custom builders in a local bike shop. Do a google search and you will find there are more around than you might think.
 

·
Home Brew User!
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
Insight Driver said:
Just to clear up one item, Calfee is also made in the USA and there are a few more small shops that build custom carbon in-house in the USA. Parlee is in Massachusetts and is a hand-maker of carbon frames. Craig Calfee is in California. You won't find custom builders in a local bike shop. Do a google search and you will find there are more around than you might think.
No question! With carbon tube sets available many folks can do some level of custom, carbon frame in house.

The number of little guys making the monocoque style is not growing and maybe dwindling. Trek so dominated that market for so long it made it tough on the small guys. I'm sure there are more than just Aegis doing it, but not many.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top