Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Parked Car Magnet
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Trek 1200 & am using a set of RSX "Brifters" which were in a wreck, and not shifting up to spec-they're bent.
Is it possible to put on a set of downtube shifters on the braze-ons (where the cable mounts to the frame, near the steerer tube)?

Also, if it is possible, can BAR-END shifters be converted to downtube shifters?

Or if that doesn't work, can I just buy a set of 10 sp Dura ace downtube shifters, and still utilize my 8 speed cassette?
My LBS didn't seem to interested in offering any help.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
If you have to index, I have no idea, but otherwise...

None of my bikes except my mountain bike has indexed shifting, so I dunno what will work there. I have friction barcons with a 10-speed cassette on one bike, eight-speed on the other, and it shifts fine (the 10sp would index if I set it up, but I haven't bothered). Last time I looked all Shimano barcons had a friction option, so you might consider that (I like barcons and don't like to reach to the DT).
On my bikes, at least, the levers from the barcons would bolt right to the downtube bosses and work fine. Don't know if that's the case with all. If you're determined to click-shift, somebody else might have to tell you what will work, because I don't care enough about indexing to check on it. For what it's worth, though, DuraAce really seems like overkill. Shimano's lower-level stuff works well and it's a LOT cheaper.
You might consider a new bike shop, too. Not having an answer is one thing, but not being interested in helping is a bad sign.

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
Not absolutely sure, but I think Shimano only has one set of barcons, and they choose to call it Dura Ace, so it's not that meaningful.

And yeah, everything you suggest will work, though the 10 speed shifters/8 speed cassette will almost certainly require you to use the friction option.

Cory said:
None of my bikes except my mountain bike has indexed shifting, so I dunno what will work there. I have friction barcons with a 10-speed cassette on one bike, eight-speed on the other, and it shifts fine (the 10sp would index if I set it up, but I haven't bothered). Last time I looked all Shimano barcons had a friction option, so you might consider that (I like barcons and don't like to reach to the DT).
On my bikes, at least, the levers from the barcons would bolt right to the downtube bosses and work fine. Don't know if that's the case with all. If you're determined to click-shift, somebody else might have to tell you what will work, because I don't care enough about indexing to check on it. For what it's worth, though, DuraAce really seems like overkill. Shimano's lower-level stuff works well and it's a LOT cheaper.
You might consider a new bike shop, too. Not having an answer is one thing, but not being interested in helping is a bad sign.

·
Parked Car Magnet
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I goofed up

I removed the cable braze-on at the frame, and realized there wasn't a braze on. There was only a spnidle that connects the left & right cable housings that protrudes through the frame. In other words, no braze-on for downtube shifters exists.
So much for the downtube shifter-Idea.

Maybe I could just redo the whole drivetrain, i.e. brifters, 10 sp cassette and probably new compact crankset, preferrably in SRAM Rival.
I'd like to get a Rival groupo, but am worried that my 8/9/10 shimano hub might not accomodate it. Any pointers?
Also, I know nothing about bottom brackets. Any advice as to whether or not a SRAM Rival BB fit in my frame? It is a 99' Trek 1200. I'd hate to have to grind down the frame to accomodate a new Rival BB.I'd appreciate any of your advice, bcuz Im anxious to get this project rolling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
umm qbp still has 8 speed downtube shifters (or bar end shifters not shure wich) any bike shop should be able to get them (they are ultegra leval)

the current bar end/downtube shifters are called dura-ace cause they are supposedly for tt's

your hubs andd bb will work fine for sram

does your trek look like this?:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.