Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My wife and I are thinking of staying in Rome, Georgia for a week to do some road riding and maybe even mountain biking. I'm search for ride routes and maps and any links would be well appreciated. I'm more interested in the road riding side since that's the primary reason for visiting the area. My wife had read that there was a nice abundance of riding in the area and that Rome is an interesting place to visit. I just want to make sure we don't get too lost when on the bikes, because I know we will get turned around at some point. We found the CVCA site and hope to hook up with them for a weekend ride and weekday ride, but we intend on touring around on our own too.

We're both average riders that have been on the road for one year, but have been into the MTB scene for over 6 years prior. Our average rides are about 30 miles during the week and upwards of 60 miles on the weekend, pace is the average 16-19 mph...Why state all this?? Well, just to give you an idea of the type of riders we are.

We also like to plan the hell out of everything...Call it boring, but I like to have an idea of what to expect...

Anyway, hope to hear back for someone...

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
593 Posts
Don't know much about Rome itself, but just south of Rome, maybe 15-20 miles, is a small town called Rockmart. It used to be one end of the Silver Comet Trail, which is a very smooth, totally flat, paved old railroad line. Haven't ridden on it in a couple of years but it used to go from Atlanta to Rockmart, about 38 miles. I believe that it actually goes farther than Rockmart now, but I'm not sure. Part of it also goes way into Alabama and it will eventually all link up. There is a bike shop right next to the trail in Rockmart as well as another shop on the trail closer to the Atlanta side. Check out the links below. Also, for a non cycling activity in the area you should check out Paradise Gardens in Summerville, GA, just north of Rome (might be a good ride). It was the lifelong project of the Rev Howard Finster, who is, in my opinion, America's greatest folk artist. You can walk around the gardens, which are some really cool sculptures, including an enormous pile of old bikes.

http://www.pathfoundation.org/trails/sc.cfm

http://www.trailexpress.com/silvercomet/index.php

http://www.finster.com/

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info and links guys....My wife actually has hooked up with the CVCA and we'll be joining them for a ride...The one thing that would be nice would be a detailed road map of the area so we can strike out on our own and explore...

We're up in Ontario and the OCA (Ontario Cycling Association) produces a fairly detailed map of the area that shows all major roads and prefered cycling routes. Is anything like that available for Georgia?? Of course If I could snag it online that would be the best. I'm sure once we get down there we can find what we need by visiting a bike shop.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
We're still digging for info...

Anyone from the Cleveland Tennessee area?? We'll be spending 4 days there before heading over to Rome. My wife has family there so we'll be visiting, but also riding. We're pretty familiar with the MTB riding in the area since this will be our 3rd time down, but have no clue about the road scene. I've checked the ChatBike site and have found a loop that comes into Cleveland that we will probably try. The ride comes along Harrison Pike before heading away from Cleveland. We're hoping to start in Cleveland instead of the actually start at the Conoco. The only problem is I have no clue if there's a good spot to leave the car. I've also had no luck in finding a website for Scott's bike shop in Cleveland, does anyone know if they have one?? I'm assuming they are still around. We've stopped in there before and have always enjoyed visiting and making some purchases.

Thanks again,
Rich

·
Registered
60 Posts
there's also great rides on the NC side of the mtns. if you call or stop by the Nantahala Outdoor Center bike shop near Bryson City, we have free maps of our area's spectacular rides (800-232-7238) ext. 158 ask for Ben.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts