Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
More cowbell!
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tossing around the idea of going to tubular tires for a while now, and things seem to be falling into place to make it possible this summer. I can get a pretty good deal on some Easton aluminum wheels and Challenge tires through the team I work with.

What size Grifo would be best for me (215 lbs and dropping) to use on the courses around the mid-Atlantic? I'm leaning towards 32's, but also considering the 34's.

Do I risk ruining the base tape if I switch from cross tires to road tires at the end of the season and then back in the fall?

Does anyone have experience using road tubulars from Challenge?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Go 34's all the way

I've made the switch and won't go back to anything smaller. I'm 195lbs. and having the larger tire makes a big difference. No negatives, even in the mud and slop and way nicer onthe dryer and bumpier courses.

I'm trying a set of Challenge Criteriums right now on the rod wheels and I really like them. They ride nice, glued up easily, and seem to hold air fairly decently.

As long as you are careful when you start to pry up the tire off the rim, the base tape should be fine. If it does peel a little, barge cement will fix it right up.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I have the 32's. They're fine but if I had to do it over again I'd get the 34's. I was about 190-195 last yr, fwiw....And, as you might have guessed, I race in teh mid-atlantic, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.