Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2010 Felt F95, put 1045 miles on it since April. Don't race, just like to ride. When I got into road bikes this April I only test road what was in my price range (which was obviously entry level). A few weeks ago while at a bike shop with a friend I was convinced to take out a Specialized Roubaix or something that was carbon. The street I rode down was brick and WOW was it unbelievable!

Here is my delema, my bike has a Tiagra rear and front Sora components. I really need to keep my budget around 1700. I looked at a 2011 Giant Defy Advance 4 and it was 1550and had front and read Tiagra. The guy at the shop said that the new 2011 Tiagra is basically last years 105.

I trust the guy, but if I am going to spend that 1700 or so will those components feel any better or shift smoother? Because my components are fine, but I would like something that shifts a little smoother. I actually wish I had a SRAM option.

He also said this about Giant bikes (please comment):

-Giant designs and builds their own frames, along with making many other manufacturer's frames

-The bike used press fit bearings or something in the bottom bracket which is supposed to be better

·
Registered
599 Posts
Dcmkx2000 said:
The guy at the shop said that the new 2011 Tiagra is basically last years 105.
Sounds like a sales pitch! Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tiagra still 9 speed? And of course 105 being 10.

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
Dcmkx2000 said:
Here is my delema, my bike has a Tiagra rear and front Sora components. I really need to keep my budget around 1700. I looked at a 2011 Giant Defy Advance 4 and it was 1550and had front and read Tiagra. The guy at the shop said that the new 2011 Tiagra is basically last years 105.

I trust the guy, but if I am going to spend that 1700 or so will those components feel any better or shift smoother? Because my components are fine, but I would like something that shifts a little smoother. I actually wish I had a SRAM option.

He also said this about Giant bikes (please comment):

-Giant designs and builds their own frames, along with making many other manufacturer's frames

-The bike used press fit bearings or something in the bottom bracket which is supposed to be better
I think in terms of shifting smoothness, correctly tuned Tiagra or Sora components shift equally smoothly. I prefer the design of tiagra shifters because there is no thumb button and you can shift from the drops more easily with tiagra. I like the hood shape of Tiagra better too. Last time I checked, sora can only downshift 2 at a time while tiagra can do 3.

2011 Tiagra as well as 2011 sora are both 9 speed groups. The 2011 Tiagra does in fact look like 2010 (last year's) 105, but 105 is 10 speed stuff... That being said they both feel pretty similar to me, but I'd say the 2010 105 stuff feels maybe a little more crisp and less "soft" than 2011 tiagra. I use this version of tiagra on my commuter and it's been great, I don't have any complaints about its functionality or reliability.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If you are open to previously owned bikes, you can find some pretty nice bikes with Ultegra of Sram Rival components for $1700. My LBS was selling an '09 Roubaix expert with full Ultegra for around $1800. I know some will argue that it's too risky to buy a used "carbon" bike, but carbon material is a lot tougher than its perceived reputation. Just food for thought.

·
10-81
515 Posts
One of my friends just bought his first bike and came with Tiagra shifters. I rode it and it was nice but they are not to the same level as 105. They were nicer than previous years but just not the same...did miss the extra gear.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Save for the 105. I really enjoy my Giant too.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Cni2i said:
If you are open to previously owned bikes, you can find some pretty nice bikes with Ultegra of Sram Rival components for $1700. My LBS was selling an '09 Roubaix expert with full Ultegra for around $1800.
Thats good advice. My bike was brand new but old stock and I paid about the same for the class bike purchased a few months ago. Full carbon bike with Ultegra/DA components.

OP, are ou going to be selling your old bike? That would add a chunk of change to the 1700 your willing to spend.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Cni2i said:
If you are open to previously owned bikes, you can find some pretty nice bikes with Ultegra of Sram Rival components for $1700. My LBS was selling an '09 Roubaix expert with full Ultegra for around $1800. I know some will argue that it's too risky to buy a used "carbon" bike, but carbon material is a lot tougher than its perceived reputation. Just food for thought.

+1....I did that, got a great carbon bike and saved a lot of cash :thumbsup:

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Cni2i said:
It's not so much a question of whether or not CF is more fragile than other materials that makes buying used (with no warranty) risky, it's the way it can fail. Alu and steel might bend, or in the event of a defect crack, usually at weld points. CF doesn't bend and in the event of a defect, can crack/ fail internally. Without the use of special equipment, there's no way of knowing by visual checks alone.

FWIW I think both comments made by the LBS employee are (at best) questionable. As others have pointed out, Tiagra is still 9 spd, so I'm not seeing how it's superior to a 10 spd iteration of 105. That's not to say Tiagra isn't a good group, it is.

To my knowledge, there's no evidence that pressed in BB bearings have any advantage over other designs. If anything, some manufacturers (Trek and Specialized, to name two) have had problems with BB play developing in similar set ups.

Yes, Giant manufacturers bikes for several other brands, but that doesn't make their bikes superior (or inferior) to others, IMO.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I'm not going to comment on the carbon vs aluminum debate or which bike is better.

But with the 2011 Tiagra is last years 105, this is not true. Tiagra has been the same for the past 3-4 years. No changes have been made to Tiagra. 105 was just revised mid year this year for 2011.

As a mechanic at a LBS I can attest that a properly setup Tiagra bike will shift exactly like a 105 bike. Quite a large percentage of the bikes we sell are equipped with Tiagra and 105. The biggest different is the addition of ONE gear as 105 is 10 speed.

Now with the press in bearings manufacturers claim that since the bearings are pressed directly into the frame, the frame can be made differently than an external BB bike. This is "supposed" to make the frame stiffer and lighter. Of course that is part of the marketing.

Now I have ridden a few BB30 bikes and IMHO feel that a BB30 system is a tad stiffer than the external BB systems, but I also think that part of this "stiffer" feel was the design of the bike as well.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yes the whole Shimano sales pitch is always that you are buying last years whatever was the next level up componants. All their groupo's shift reasonable well when they are brand new and you are test riding them. The difference in groups is the quality. That never changes. The only two that last for years and years are DA and Ultegra. Buy which one that you can afford. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Agree, this guy I know at work had some old ones, Probably in the 2200 range, or whatever they made that was the cheap ones about 10 years ago and he has been riding on them to work 4 days a week the whole time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dcmkx2000 said:
...... The street I rode down was brick and WOW was it unbelievable! .......

.........I actually wish I had a SRAM option.
What are your tires versus the one you test rode? When I switched tires brick roads were a totally different feel, and it was VERY noticeable. I had Vittoria's and switched to Continental 4000s.

Re: SRAM. You do have the option. There are plenty of people upgrading and selling their very good SRAM on eBay.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If your not too concerned about upgrading to higher level components in then future then Tiagra is a great value and will preform as well as some of the more expensive groupsets. As for press fit BB's, I've had two bikes with BB30 and both of them had problems with paint cracking, unresolvable noises etc. Not that I have not had a problem with threaded BB's, but you throw some new cups on for $30 and your good to go. Manufacturers claim they can increase the stiffness of the BB by increasing the diameter of the tube junctions, which is theoretically true, but your also increasing the diameter of the holes in the frame by a significant margin so I think its pretty much a wash, and if you look at the independent testing there is really no difference. Some people say they feel it, but a lot of people say that about ceramic bearings and other things that make no sense whatsoever. You also have to take into account that those bikes also tend to be newer designs with more advanced CF blends, modern layups and construction methods.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What about some of the PB brands like Fuji or Scantate (spelling might be wrong)? They seem to use better components for lower prices. Are their frames that bad that it's not worth it? Remember I am not going to compete, I promise you that.

The more I read I really think I will probably be happy with Tiagra.

Thanx for all of the info and opinions, I really appreciate it so keep it coming. It really helps me ask the right questions when I go to the shops.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Cni2i said:
This is the best advice you'll get.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts