Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Loves to Suffer
Joined
·
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small victory. I managed to not get dropped and finish with the pack on my third crit today. It was great to see things develop, reel in an attack or two with the pack, and kinda sorta be part of the sprints. I have gone from thinking that I really suck as a racer, to thinking that maybe, after a few more races, I could actually be competitive.

Thanks to those who told me to stick with it. Now this is starting to get FUN. :thumbsup:

--thinking to self "I am a mountain bike racer...this is for training.." repeat.
 

·
Captain Obvious
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
Zipp0 said:
:

--thinking to self "I am a mountain bike racer...this is for training.." repeat.
i was thinking the same thing as i got dropped yesterday. oh well, maybe next week.
 

·
Loves to Suffer
Joined
·
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tomk96 said:
i was thinking the same thing as i got dropped yesterday. oh well, maybe next week.
Hang in there. At the first crit I got lapped twice(maybe more by the breakaway??) and thought my road career was over before it got started. The following week I got lapped, but it took longer, and I caught back onto the pack and hung on to the finish. I still felt like I sucked, but not QUITE as badly. This week I had to dig deep, but I finally didn't get dropped. Fitness had a tiny bit to do with it, but it was mostly knowing what to do, and when to do it, and where to be through the corners.

Now I am hatching foolhardy plans on where/when to launch my attack next week, and figuring out who I can talk into helping.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,437 Posts
Forget about attacking. Your next step (after being able to finish with the pack) is to position yourself in the last four laps to be able to finish as well as you can. Stay at least 10 to 15 riders back until the last two laps, or people will expect you to work.
 

·
Loves to Suffer
Joined
·
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Forget about attacking. Your next step (after being able to finish with the pack) is to position yourself in the last four laps to be able to finish as well as you can. Stay at least 10 to 15 riders back until the last two laps, or people will expect you to work.
What about this - 15 lap crit, sprints at 5 and 10. Don't take part in the sprints. Then attack right after the sprint in lap 10. It's slightly uphill and everyone is dragging big time for a couple laps after the second sprint. Then you'd only have to stay away for 4 laps.

Just thinking this because I kinda suck at sprints right now.

Then again 2 weeks ago I was getting lapped. :blush2: But you know, screw it. Might as well make things interesting, right? :rolleyes:
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top