Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i haven't ridden my bike in about two weeks, and i think i might be developing a nervous twitch as a result. i'm taking twelve units of classes, as well as working 30-40hrs a week, and i just plain don't have time to ride (not to mention the whole social thing). i'm getting As on every exam in every class, and i was just promoted to chef at my place of employment (i'm 19, and i'm a chef? SWEET!), and i'm really happy about those things, but it's no fun not having time to ride.

the insult is added to the injury in the form of the shiny, red, 2006 S-Works E5 with full 7800 gruppo sitting in my garage. i've been hitting the gym about 3-4 days a week, and i've gained a fair amount of muscle mass in both legs and upper body, but i still feel like a slug. i also recently purchased a pair of Giordana bib knickers and a thermal jersey for this chilly spring weather that's been going on, and both are still unused.

how do people have time to work, go to school, and still ride? i don't get it. all i want to do is ride my damn bike and feel fit again, and i can't wait all the way until may when school is over. does anybody want to pool savings, move to spain, and ride bikes all day?????

i think i'm done ranting.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
hear, hear.

I'm really happy I can be a student and NOT work full time, so I can still ride my bike a decent number of hours a week. Riding with my collegiate teammates who also have 40-hour-a-week jobs, I feel almost like I'm ... cheating, somehow, since I cycle 15-20 hours / wk, and one guy I know would be pretty darned fit if he wasn't confined to the rollers M-F.

Now that it's staying light 'till 8:00, though, he'll be hitting the road a bit more.

Espana, alli veniramos!

·
Registered
127 Posts
soulsurfer104 said:
i haven't ridden my bike in about two weeks.
Relax, dude! School will be over soon! Sounds like you've got a lot going for you with a job & promotion & juggling school anyhow.

I used to sneak rides in between classes. Now I ride from work during lunch before the time changes (my colleagues jog or lift weights at lunch, we've got a full exercise room and shower, so why not ride?). Be creative. Look for a 1-2 hour gap in the day you might spend riding and just do it. Maybe you skip lunch, ride, and wolf down peanut butter sandwiches during your next class?

As for the Spain thing, will you take burned out 38 year old middle management types?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sucks that you haven't had time to ride, I know how it feels. I've got friends that will actually MAKE me go ride sometimes because I get grouchy. I find that there are times when you just MAKE time to go ride. You say "not to mention the whole social thing". I assume you mean doing things with friends and family, going out or whatever. If you really want to ride, skip something and go ride. Otherwise, things just become convenient excuses to keep you off the bike, and if you're anything like me the longer you stay off the easier it becomes to stay off.

So skip some TV time or a movie, dinner out or whatever and go ride for an hour. You will thank you.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Then comes a full-time job, marriage, maybe kids....

Ah, MAN, I hate to sound like my father in 1968, but Life really does get in the way of what you want to do sometimes.
Know what you mean, though. I worked 4-midnight the last three years I was in college, and it just kicked my social life's @ss.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
soulsurfer104 said:
i haven't ridden my bike in about two weeks, and i think i might be developing a nervous twitch as a result. i'm taking twelve units of classes, as well as working 30-40hrs a week, and i just plain don't have time to ride (not to mention the whole social thing). i'm getting As on every exam in every class, and i was just promoted to chef at my place of employment (i'm 19, and i'm a chef? SWEET!), and i'm really happy about those things, but it's no fun not having time to ride.

the insult is added to the injury in the form of the shiny, red, 2006 S-Works E5 with full 7800 gruppo sitting in my garage. i've been hitting the gym about 3-4 days a week, and i've gained a fair amount of muscle mass in both legs and upper body, but i still feel like a slug. i also recently purchased a pair of Giordana bib knickers and a thermal jersey for this chilly spring weather that's been going on, and both are still unused.

how do people have time to work, go to school, and still ride? i don't get it. all i want to do is ride my damn bike and feel fit again, and i can't wait all the way until may when school is over. does anybody want to pool savings, move to spain, and ride bikes all day?????

It's really tough to do it all. There are a few people who manage to excel personally and professionally, while maintaining a regular fitness routine and social schedule. It helps if you have a lot of family money. I'm not one of those people. For most of us, we have to let one area of our life suffer while we pursue other parts of our life. Me? I'm a fat, single, childless doctor who owns and operates two clinics. I want to remain single and not have kids, but I don't want to be so out of shape. So what am I doing? I'm in the process of selling one of my clinics. I've let go of a doctor and two physical therapists. I'm selling my boat and I'm renting my condo on the lake. I'm carving away more time to ride and work out.

Spain sounds good. I've been dreaming of Italy. Living in a little village. I could ride during the day and wait tables for a few hours at night. I'll walk to the market, bike to my job and sit in cafe's and learn the local lingo while flirting with women.

I've also dreamed to being the boy toy to some rich older lady that likes men with shaven legs.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
soulsurfer104 said:

Easy: all you need to do is become a grad student. See?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm working full time, and a part time grad student. Thankfully I will be done this August after a long 3 1/2 years.

Anyway, I find the best time to ride is early in the morning before work. Now that the weather is a little warmer I can get out and do 20-30 minutes daily during the week, and then longer base rides on the weekends. There are a lot of benefits of riding in the morning - it really kick starts your metabolism. Plus it frees up your evenings for class or an after work drink/dinner.

·
Registered
773 Posts
alienator said:
Easy: all you need to do is become a grad student. See?
so true. Our team has two grad students and they ride + 200 miles per week.

As for social life, it becomes nonexistent for me during the summer. When it's daytime I'll be riding. At night, I'll be resting. There's very little time to socialize, but I make up for lost times during the winter "off season".

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sleep is over rated, and caffeine helps :)
Seriously though, if you have a television, sell it (shoot it, toss it out the window...). If you have a car, sell it (park it, burn it...)
There really are a lot of hours in the day. Commute time can become ride time. TVs really suck a lot of hours for most people. Unless you really are at the limit, reducing sleep by an hour a day isn't that painful.

·
Registered
896 Posts
time pressure will always exist

today its school, then a wife, then kids, and all along the way its your job.
some days I plan to ride after the kids go to bed at 8, then my son doesn't go to bed until 9, and there goes my training. or I'm going to ride before work, and I'm too tired to get up at 5am. very few people have the luxury to organize their lives around biking

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You can do what I did and just walk away from everything. I quit my job six years ago, broke up with my GF, my social/family life is almost non-existent, so I've got all the time in the world to ride. And you know what? There's still stuff getting in the way of my saddle time, and now I'm broke and lonesome (but not lonesome enough to get back together with the ex-GF....).

You can make the time to ride if you really want to. Something else might have to give, but only you can decide what's truly important.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's life, not a lifestyle.

This is your life and you have complex commitments, not a lucrative Euro pro tour contract (some of which are not as lucrative as you might think).

People manage to juggle different things in different ways. Once I took to bike racing in college, I was able to make it work (when I wasn't sick or injured, each of which I was at one point or another), but I did not work as many hours as you do. There were years in grad school when I trained and raced, and years when I didn't feel I could manage it. Now I have a family--including three little kids--and a career, and all kinds of commitments. One thing that helped me when we first started breeding was having a handy set of rollers. It's an imperfect substitute for riding on the road, and long roller rides sure can get tedious, but the ability to hop on for a half an hour here or there, even at 11 PM or 12 or early or whatever, helped relieve stress and helped keep the spin up. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, or perfect for you, but it's something to consider besides just weight lifting. Let's face it, there are only so many hours in a day and you have a pretty full plate. Wishing for 27 hours will not make the day longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry man.

I am a student working 25hrs a week. The good thing is, I go to school at UCD which is one of the few bicycle towns in California. I get about 15miles a day just from riding from class to class and back home. Maybe you should build up a beater bike and ride that to stay in shape. I'm riding around campus with a single speed specialized allez and i'm loving it. A really good time to ride is when you've been in the library for 3-4 hours and you need to take a breather, just hop on your bike get a little 30min ride in. That just works for me. Good luck with everthing.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
soulsurfer104 said:

cry me a freakin river. If you had a wife and a couple of kids I might feel sorry for you. :cool:

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
cry me a freakin river. If you had a wife and a couple of kids I might feel sorry for you. :cool:
Well, then I'm your guy: I'm a grad student (in for the long haul, Piled Higher and Deeper degree); I've got a wife; I've got an 8 y.o. daughter; and I've got two dogs.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
alienator said:
Well, then I'm your guy: I'm a grad student (in for the long haul, Piled Higher and Deeper degree); I've got a wife; I've got an 8 y.o. daughter; and I've got two dogs.
OK...not an infant, but you have a little reason to bit*h at least! :)

// myself--Full time job, 2 dogs, wife, 5 and 10 year old boys.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
That really blows, so I'm setting up an international fund in your name. Everyone here will be happy to make generous contributions, so you don't have to work anymore and can ride all the time. Together we'll fight this terrible scourge, one rider at a time.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
soulsurfer104 said:
does anybody want to pool savings, move to spain, and ride bikes all day?????
I just failed my physics exam despite studying every day during spring break, plus many many more hours...

Lets do it! Every day something horrible happens (study wrong material and fail exam, some political BS in school) I think about moving to europe and becoming a pro rider. Some motivation will work, so I'm all for it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
soulsurfer104 said:
how do people have time to work, go to school, and still ride?
I ride my bike to and from work. It is certainly the most time efficient way for me to get my miles in. I understand that will not work for everyone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts