Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was finally in a crash during a race. At mile 99.73 of the Hotter N Hell 100 (according to my Garmin) some bozo had a lapse of mental focus and caused a pile up. I had nowhere to go but down. Frankly, I'm pissed. I felt great, wasn't cramping and had the legs to finish very well should everything else work out.

I may need a replacement front fork. My front Ksyrium Elite is bent, not sure it can be repaired. My right front Ultegra 6700 brake/shift levers are toast. My left Keo Max 2 pedal is bent (metal plate), front Conty 4000s is shredded, handlebars should be okay except for the bar tape. The ratchet on my left Specialized shoe is busted off, my helmet may need to be replaced...

So, thanks to the guy who royally [email protected]#$D up costing me the ability to finish the race, the ability to race on Sunday, the time it's going to take to heal and the time and money it's going to take to repair my bike.

I love racing, and know that with all things you have to accept both the good and bad of it... But this is pretty flippin bad. And with it being my only crash, I'm not sure if this is standard damage or less or more. It sure as hell is discouraging though.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Which category are you in? I "upgraded" this year to crash 4 and thought they earned their name appropriately. I think I felt safer in 5.

Regarding crashing, I always seemed to get tangled up in one when I was on my best form. :( Missed out on picking off some in rolling hills at my last RR because I got stuck behind a crash.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my first year racing. I'm a Cat 4 now... Honestly, I'd love to cat up ASAP so I can get in with dudes who have better bike handling skills.

·
Stay Fit!
182 Posts
Glad you are OK. Sounds like a pretty bad pile up with both sides of the bike wrecked.

How's the body any damage to it?

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
This is my first year racing. I'm a Cat 4 now... Honestly, I'd love to cat up ASAP so I can get in with dudes who have better bike handling skills.
I think they want to make sure you're up to par before the upgrade. :p

I'm mostly a TT guy, but I'm planning on being very picky with my Cat 4 races due to the high amounts of crashing. I'm no sprinter, but I prefer races with terrain that helps split up the field.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eyezlee said:
Glad you are OK. Sounds like a pretty bad pile up with both sides of the bike wrecked.

How's the body any damage to it?
I sprained my ankle somehow but funny thing is, the next day it was almost like it never happened. It does have some road rash on it... My left hip is scraped up but nothing horrible... My upper left back would've been road rashed but my CamelBak RaceBak completely saved me there. My jersey got torn up pretty good but the CameBak material didn't tear at all, so where there would have been road rash is left with what looks like a carpet burn or something. Elbow is scrapped but it's very minimal.

It hurts to take big breaths, but it's gotten marginally better since the wreck. I guess I strained those breathing muscles somehow... It's definitely muscle related and not rib related, so that's good.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spade2you said:
I think they want to make sure you're up to par before the upgrade. :p

I'm mostly a TT guy, but I'm planning on being very picky with my Cat 4 races due to the high amounts of crashing. I'm no sprinter, but I prefer races with terrain that helps split up the field.
Yeah, I definitely would be out of my league speed-wise but I'd rather lose than crash any day. :D

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Was that the cat 4 pileup on the overpass? I heard about that... It's a sketchy bit there with everyone going for position and the road narrowing with cones, I've seen lots of crashes there.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
lolz I just noticed - you guys got routed the wrong way into town too. Stupid moto's didn't know the route.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Creakyknees said:
Was that the cat 4 pileup on the overpass? I heard about that... It's a sketchy bit there with everyone going for position and the road narrowing with cones, I've seen lots of crashes there.
Yup, that's precisely where it happened... I was up front then all the sudden a swarm of riders came around both sides of me and swallowed me up... A ballet of carnage quickly followed.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Creakyknees said:
lolz I just noticed - you guys got routed the wrong way into town too. Stupid moto's didn't know the route.
Yup! I found out about that yesterday too! I'm not sure any of us knew at the time. We all just followed the guys on the motorcycles that know the route. hehe

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
Yup! I found out about that yesterday too! I'm not sure any of us knew at the time. We all just followed the guys on the motorcycles that know the route. hehe
that's how my buddy got 5th place, came in all alone several minutes ahead of the pack - he pre-rode the finish on Friday and when the moto's went straight, he turned right.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Creakyknees said:
that's how my buddy got 5th place, came in all alone several minutes ahead of the pack - he pre-rode the finish on Friday and when the moto's went straight, he turned right.
Haha, that's epic!

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
I have a front Ksyrium SL left over from my Boise incident. You pay for shipping and it's yours. It has over 20k miles on it but it's still straight as an arrow and no stress cracks yet.

I'm keeping the Mavic QR though since it is lighter than the ones that came with my Eastons.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bmxhacksaw said:
I have a front Ksyrium SL left over from my Boise incident. You pay for shipping and it's yours. It has over 20k miles on it but it's still straight as an arrow and no stress cracks yet.

I'm keeping the Mavic QR though since it is lighter than the ones that came with my Eastons.

Dude! I may take you up on that! I'll find out tomorrow if my wheels is fixable and let you know! Thanks!!!

·
but thinking about it
1,434 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
I was finally in a crash during a race.
Sometimes a crash causes only cosmetic damage to the bar tap, or shoes, and sometimes a crash tacos a wheel and cracks a frame. If you really want opinions on where this ranks, I'd say it sounds worse than typical, but not extreme. Serious injury is a far worse thing, so be glad you came away relatively ok on that front.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Undecided said:
Sometimes a crash causes only cosmetic damage to the bar tap, or shoes, and sometimes a crash tacos a wheel and cracks a frame. If you really want opinions on where this ranks, I'd say it sounds worse than typical, but not extreme. Serious injury is a far worse thing, so be glad you came away relatively ok on that front.
Definitely!

Everything will be okay. I'm sure I've learned something from it, but not exactly sure what that is, yet.

It's still early on, so the emotions are more bold than usual. I'm generally a relaxed dude... But 99.7 miles in?! I mean, srsly?! I guess all I can do now is laugh about it... Or something. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
I was finally in a crash during a race. At mile 99.73 of the Hotter N Hell 100 (according to my Garmin) some bozo had a lapse of mental focus and caused a pile up. I had nowhere to go but down. Frankly, I'm pissed. I felt great, wasn't cramping and had the legs to finish very well should everything else work out.

I may need a replacement front fork. My front Ksyrium Elite is bent, not sure it can be repaired. My right front Ultegra 6700 brake/shift levers are toast. My left Keo Max 2 pedal is bent (metal plate), front Conty 4000s is shredded, handlebars should be okay except for the bar tape. The ratchet on my left Specialized shoe is busted off, my helmet may need to be replaced...

So, thanks to the guy who royally [email protected]#$D up costing me the ability to finish the race, the ability to race on Sunday, the time it's going to take to heal and the time and money it's going to take to repair my bike.

I love racing, and know that with all things you have to accept both the good and bad of it... But this is pretty flippin bad. And with it being my only crash, I'm not sure if this is standard damage or less or more. It sure as hell is discouraging though.
Unfortunately this is a part of racing that you simply must deal with if you want to do it. It's really frustrating and it's out of your control and that's just how it is. Same thing happened to me back in May; I spent months getting back in shape then broke my foot; thankfully I got a podium right before the second injury so I had something to show for the training I put in. Anywho, it is what it is. I'm just happy that I'll be back in time for cyclocross and the way I'm dealing with this situation is more dirt racing than road becuase in my opinion it's a bit safer (no giant pack pile-ups on pavement to deal with).

Oh and for the lulz: the foot injury happenned while I was off the bike so remember that you can get taken out doing pretty much anything.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.