Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Feb, I had a physical. I'm 58 and in reasonable condition for my age, weight is manageable IMO. I could be a little less but I also enjoy myself.

Doctor thought my blood pressure was a tad high and put me on some meds..I also have a train wreck of family history in this area, and the reason I started running and cycling in my early 20's.

I can't say that for the first time I really felt my age and kind of depressed me.

Last week while out on my weekly 25 mile noon ride, I came up on a group of about 20 riders. I jumped in with them, no real quick pace, started talking with one of the guys. He told me the average age of the riders in that group was 75, and he was 87. Rides 4 days a week and covers 140 miles, and this summer will compete in the Senior games in Utah.

I rode away with a whole new feeling of I still got game left.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
A few years ago, doing the Houston to Austin MS150, I sat down to eat lunch on day two next to a gentleman who was in his 80's. A few minutes later, another gentleman sat down right across from him who was about the same age. I was in awe. I kept thinking how, when I'm that age, I want to be able to do that still. Keep in mind, the first guy was there ahead of me!

·
wut?
507 Posts
Last week while out on my weekly 25 mile noon ride, I came up on a group of about 20 riders. I jumped in with them, no real quick pace, started talking with one of the guys. He told me the average age of the riders in that group was 75, and he was 87. Rides 4 days a week and covers 140 miles, and this summer will compete in the Senior games in Utah.

I rode away with a whole new feeling of I still got game left.
It's great to have that kind of inspiration around.

I regularly ride with a guy who won three gold and one silver medals from that group at the Utah Senior Games last year and went on to win road race gold and the USA Master Nationals. He's 73 and he kicks bootay! Hero to myself and many others. I just completed a 5 day 500 mile challenge ride with him yesterday.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got to a group ride start in the pouring rain and it looked like no one was going to show so I started to head out on my own. Right as I mounted up a dude in his 50s rode up and asked me if I was there for the ride so we headed out. He had no trouble keeping a 19-20ish pace until we hit something steep. Time and time again though he would carve corners just right and would come out about 10-15 feet in front of me. I was pretty tired from having to chase back on every damn corner by the time we were done and he looked like he was ready to go again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.