Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prayers for this person please. It could have been anyone of us. Damn.

Rocklin cyclist hit on Horseshoe Bar Road still critical, but improving | The Loomis News

“Riding is his passion,” Yambot said.

He said Abaco was training to participate in the July Tour of the California Alps - Death Ride race, which encompasses 129 miles, 15,000 feet of elevation gain and includes cycling and climbing mountain peaks.

According to ironmanmagazine.com, Abaco placed first in the 2006 USA Bodybuilding and Figure Championship, men’s bantam weight and he’s placed in numerous other bodybuilding competitions.

Yambot said the Abaco family lives at the top of Sierra College Boulevard, in Rocklin, and Abaco oftens rides the Loomis roads.

“I can recall the moment when I became one with the bike riding a country road with the wind brushing against my face and singing past my ears. I can see the tall grass rolling like the waves on the ocean surface and the horses running along and the clouds floating lazily in the sky and the sun presenting itself and radiating Mother Nature’s warm caress,” Abaco wrote

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I drove this route today in my car. No shoulder. Nothing, zip. The school is right up the road and moms/cars speed down this narrow road making it a death trap. I recall zipping this curvy road at 10+ over posted speed in my car before I started cycling. I never felt comfortable riding here, so I didn't. I never imagined getting destroyed on my bike, I guess I simply felt vulnerable but invincible. On this road a cyclist completely at the mercy of traffic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
During the school year, I drive those roads daily to get my kid to school. Except between the freeway and a little past the T-intersection near Laird/Brace, Horseshoe Bar Rd has a reasonably good shoulder.

I won't ride Horseshoe Bar though, as well as avoiding all of Laird and all of Brace. People fly on all of those roads (me included), and it just takes one person (misjudge closing speed with you, misjudge closing speed with an oncoming car, etc.) to end it all. There are plenty of alternative roads (King, Brennans, Rock Springs) that don't get nearly as much or as fast traffic and I'll stick to those.

·
Registered
495 Posts
As a rider of that section of Horseshoe Bar, I don't understand how a driver could not have seen Fernando other than being inattentive. The curve that proceeds it and then the ones a 1/2 mile down the road leading up to Val Verde are far more of a concern to me than being in the straights. My heart goes out to this rider.
Everyone ride safe and stay as visible as possible, all the while knowing that many non-cycling drivers have little understanding of what we face.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.