Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Dogs can smell cancer and low blood sugar. The Pine Street Foundation, a cancer-education and research center in San Anselmo, Calif., published a study showing it was possible to train dogs to identify, based on breath samples, which patients had lung and breast cancer. Now the organization is recruiting ovarian cancer patients and dogs for a new study. In diabetics, the presence of ketones—substances made by the body during the metabolic process—can be smelled in urine and on the breath when blood sugars are high. Dogs can pick up on other smells that humans can’t when glucose levels drop."

Can this be true?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Yes. Very true.

Edit: I used to assist in bomb & drug detection dog training. It's farking insane how well they can find things just based off of smell.
Yep. The teenage daughter of a friend of mine has a service dog that warns her of impending seizures. The dog senses them before she does, it gives her the opportunity to make sure she's in a safe situation before the onset.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Yes. Very true.

Edit: I used to have the bomb sniffing dogs at my house all the time during my last relationship. Didn't matter where I hid it, they always found my stash.

Fixied it.:D

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Yep. I know a guy that trains cadaver dogs. They can smell a body even when it's under water.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Turtleherder said:
Yep. I know a guy that trains cadaver dogs. They can smell a body even when it's under water.
Schitt..... so my proposed method of disposal is now no longer an option. Well, I guess it's better to find out now than later, huh?

back to the drawing board.....

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
I saw that on public television well over a year ago.....too bad cats can't do it....it would make cat scans cheaper

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I saw that on public television well over a year ago.....too bad cats can't do it....it would make cat scans cheaper
ba da bump ...... ching!

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
Yeah, but think what this'll save on lab tests.

·
Registered
982 Posts
JustTooBig said:
Yep. The teenage daughter of a friend of mine has a service dog that warns her of impending seizures. The dog senses them before she does, it gives her the opportunity to make sure she's in a safe situation before the onset.
I ran into one of the seizure dogs at work not long ago, very interesting. The dog would pull the patient onto the ground. Once the patient started seizing the dog would push the patient onto her side and the dog would sit with it's back to the patient's back. The dog would stay there until the patient awoke, or in this case when we, ems, arrived. The dog was a pit bull, so it had a side benefit of providing some security as the patient in question lived in a somewhat rough part of town.

The dog and patient are brought to the place in Marin County, the patient is told to go off medication, and allowed to have some seizures. There is apparently some scent that the patient emits that the dog detects prior to the seizure. That is how they do the initial training. It's pretty amazing stuff.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
OMG ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts