Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Jake da Snake (my first cross bike) to be used mainly for commuting, early-season road training and maybe a cross race or two this fall. As stupid as this really seems, I have considered getting some fenders for the bike when commuting. I realize this spoils the $$$ Kona has spent in R&D to make this bike look cool, but the snow is melting in this part of the country and I end up soaked by the time I get to work.

What do yo think ? Are there any cool fenders out there, or should I just soak it up ?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
If fenders= 1 more ride...

that you otherwise would not do, then get the fenders. Now be honest. Riding is the point and fenders easily come off in a month or two.

TF

·
Registered
353 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
that you otherwise would not do, then get the fenders. Now be honest. Riding is the point and fenders easily come off in a month or two.

TF
Just a pic of my plastic fender. It stays on all year long including 3 CX races & 1 duathlon.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
That cute little thing's not a fender...

These are fenders.

TF

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
rpmrob said:
What do yo think ? Are there any cool fenders out there, or should I just soak it up ?
I use full fenders for wet weather riding (Nov - May). The first year I moved to the Pac NW, I went fenderless and was miserable. I was amazed at how much grit is on the road -- as I rinsed it out of my tights. My feet got very cold when the temperature was south of 60 degrees.

Fenders turned all that around. The more coverage, the better. Get as much coverage in the front to keep your feet as dry as possible.

If you want snazzy fenders that will turn the eye of even the most rabid antifenderite, check out the full wood fenders at:

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=130&products_id=505

·
Registered
353 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
These are fenders.

TF
The spray off the front never bothers me for some reason. But the spray off the back drives me crazy, wet back, wet pants, whatever! Hence, my cute little fender. I think it looks rather cool, personally. I took it off one day &, of course, it rained & drove me nuts. Right back on it went!

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Re: Cool Fenders

I've eyed the Kona Jake the Snake as a rain bike. I think it would be a cool rain bike. The coolest fenders are these carbon fiber fenders:

http://www.wallbike.com/Berthoud/fenders.html

But they are probably not the best for full coverage.

·
791 Posts
Go for it

I think riding around with a big brown streak on your butt is stupid.
I think getting soaked from road spray when you don't need to is stupid.
I think sitting inside and not riding becuase it's raining is stupid.
I think worrying about your bike looking stupid with fenders...is stupid.

Running fenders is surely not stupid.

Get yourself a good set of full coverage fenders. I personally like the SKS full coverage fenders. They work awesome, they don't rattle (even off road), and they look fine. IMHO, full coverage fenders look better than the seatpost mounted models, since they follow the profile of the tires rather than sticking out into empty space. Get black fenders and they are even less noticable. I personally think the silver fenders are a bit tacky.

Around my neck of the woods (Oregon) people will flick you hard if you show up to a group road ride during the rainy season without fenders.

I do take them off for cross races, and during the dry summer months (4 months with no rain at all).

You won't regret it.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
TWD said:
Around my neck of the woods (Oregon) people will flick you hard if you show up to a group road ride during the rainy season without fenders.
Portland? I'm in the 'Couve. Did you race Cross Crusade?

·
Registered
165 Posts
TWD said:
Get yourself a good set of full coverage fenders. I personally like the SKS full coverage fenders. They work awesome, they don't rattle (even off road), and they look fine. IMHO, full coverage fenders look better than the seatpost mounted models, since they follow the profile of the tires rather than sticking out into empty space. Get black fenders and they are even less noticable. I personally think the silver fenders are a bit tacky.
My front fork doesn't have eyelets but it does have that hole above the tire in the "crown". Any recommendations for a front fender in this situation? What about fenders when you're off road (not racing) in the mud. I imagine the ones you mentioned (these?) would cake up with mud quickly.

·
Frequent Flyer
60 Posts
jnichols959 said:
My front fork doesn't have eyelets but it does have that hole above the tire in the "crown". Any recommendations for a front fender in this situation?
Yep. Zefal.

I used to run these Zefal clip on types on a cyclocross commuter in the city all year round. What's funny is that I bought 'em because they were easy to clip on and off, but I never took 'em off once they were installed.

I loved having them. You never know when it's gonna pour rain, and all I needed was those and my Burley rain jacket to be as nice and dry as a cyclist in the rain can be.

The Zefal clip on front only needs the "crown" (as you put it) attachment. It floats in place quite rigidly from that one point, and is pretty clean looking.

The back need only be attached at a point below where the seat stays meet the seat tube. I had to fashion a little L clip out of a scrap piece of brass to mount the rear to my bike at the time, but it was easy enough to do, looked fine, and worked perfectly. You will probably not have to do this though unless you have that "mono-stay" set up (is there a proper word for this? You know, like Cannondales have...) where the stays are joined to one tube like a fork in the rear. The other end of the back fender clips onto your seat tube.

I'm running full SKS fenders now, and I agree with TWD that they are indeed the best, at least of what I've seen. Planet Bike makes nice fenders as well.

Here is a link to the Zefal set I was refering to:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...color=&img=/largeimages/647045.jpg&view=large

I also ran a Headlands Backscratcher rear fender and it works very nicely as well, if you can get it close to the tire. I see them run about six inches above the rear tire on other bikes, and this looks kludgy to say the least. I was able to position mine just right so that the drop of the arm that supports the fender from the seat post placed it dead on and it looked quite clean.

Good luck, and remember: your riding will surely improve with fenders, as any day will now be perfect weather for a ride.

Cheers!

A.

·
Registered
353 Posts
jnichols959 said:
My front fork doesn't have eyelets but it does have that hole above the tire in the "crown". Any recommendations for a front fender in this situation? What about fenders when you're off road (not racing) in the mud. I imagine the ones you mentioned (these?) would cake up with mud quickly.
Here's my arguement for my cute little rear fender. It does an honest job of just keeping enough of the guck off your back while riding in miserable conditions (better than nothing) & while racing (by far, I was the "cleanest", use that word loosely in CX racing) or traversing mud, all kinds of clearance for that too.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Beating a Dead Horse

arctic hawk said:
Here's my arguement for my cute little rear fender. It does an honest job of just keeping enough of the guck off your back while riding in miserable conditions (better than nothing) & while racing (by far, I was the "cleanest", use that word loosely in CX racing) or traversing mud, all kinds of clearance for that too.
In my neck of the woods, it rains almost every day of the week at least 6 months out of the year. When I go out to ride, I'm not looking for protection in case it rains -- I need it because it IS raining. Most of the winter is pretty mild but 40-50 degrees with speed induced windchill can be a little chilly.

If you want to know what fenders work, ask someone that rides in the rain all the time (Like some of the other repsondants to this thread)

I have tried:

1) No fenders. Miserable. Don't do it.

2) Mountain bike style clip on fenders. Much better but my feet get wet (even if it isn't raining and the pavement is just wet and won't dry since the humidity is 98-100%). Shoe covers will help but after 45-60 minutes, my feet got really cold. Remember, your feet are right in line of tire spray splattering off the down tube.

3) Zephal clip-on fenders. These give more coverage than the mtb style clip ons. I thought these were the bees knees before I got religion (full fenders). I had to mod the front one by attaching a spray flap to reduce foot wetness. My big complaint was that it was virtually impossible to get the front fender to align exactly with the tire so one foot got more wet than the other.

4) Full fenders. Nirvana. If it is raining, you will still get wet. But 95% of road spray is defeated and that makes long rides a reality. As TWD says, if getting good fenders means you ride more, then get full fenders.

I prefer SKS over the Zephal ones. SKS uses a bolt to attach the stays to the fender while Zephal uses a clip. I haven't used the Planet Bike fenders but have heard good things about them. I got the second to skinniest SKS fenders and can fit 32mm 'cross tires under them.

One more comment ... I wouldn't race with even one of those mtb clip on rear fenders because I know that I would catch a leg on it during a mount at least once.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback ...

I appreciate the input. Throw style out the window I guess - get the full deal by the sounds of it.

I'm off to the Bike Show in TO this weekend - i'll look for something there.

R

1 - 14 of 14 Posts