Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My commute used to be right around an hour -- 17 miles each way, fairly flat with one 400 foot climb at the beginning.

Now it's essentially doubled -- 32 miles each way, still flattish.

This is a little hard.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
That's a lot of riding.

You should ask for prototypes to ride so you can get paid for your commute.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Any mass transit or car pool options so you could cut down a bit on your everyday riding?

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are, sort of.

MB1 said:
Any mass transit or car pool options so you could cut down a bit on your everyday riding?
I do have one coworker who lives about 5 miles from me and is always willing to carpool me in, but I haven't needed to go that way.

Mass transit is really, really poor around here. The one semi-functional part is a heavy rail commuter train, it only makes 8 runs (I think) per day, monday-friday only, but since I work "normal" hours now I could ride about 7 miles to the train station, and then about 3 miles from the stop to the office.

That costs $4 per trip.

Today I felt fairly tired, and will probably take the 5-mile carpool option home. For the most part, I'm happy to have the opportunity and ability to commute so far.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've done a 22 mile commute (each way) and it really wears on you, especially when it starts getting warmer. I can do it every other day, but back to back was making me dislike it.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I had a 20 mile commute each way--- was with the prevailing wind in the morning, and always sought to break the one hour mark on my fixed gear. Riding home after a long day was a very different story. My issue was boredom with the same route (mostly) each day. I generally needed a car for work at least once weekly, so I could never manage too many consecutive days.

Now my commute is too short--- and is hardly worth the effort. I only have weather and climate to make it interesting.

32 miles is a bit longish--- no question. It would suck in snow or rain.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Soounds like it is time to find a place closer to work.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hah, don't I wish!

Sledgehammer03 said:
Soounds like it is time to find a place closer to work.
Yeah, and it's funny, because I just moved from 17 mile commute, to 32 mile commute.

But, I work in suburbia. Don't want to live there!

I wanted to live in the Big City 20 miles away, but ended up in the Medium-Sized City 30 miles away. Rent on a 3-br house was the same as a studio apt in Big City.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Dude, you're going to be see-through without eating as much as you weigh.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Argentius said:
My commute used to be right around an hour -- 17 miles each way, fairly flat with one 400 foot climb at the beginning.

Now it's essentially doubled -- 32 miles each way, still flattish.

This is a little hard.
You're making me feel bad, really bad. :cryin: This winter I have been wimping out on my 14.5 mile each way commute for various reasons. I have been rationalizing it by saying to myself that 14.5 miles is a relatively long commute. Then you come along with your 32 mile commute. At that rate, you will be putting in more miles per year than MB1 and Miss M.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it helps...

MarkS said:
You're making me feel bad, really bad. :cryin: This winter I have been wimping out on my 14.5 mile each way commute for various reasons. I have been rationalizing it by saying to myself that 14.5 miles is a relatively long commute. Then you come along with your 32 mile commute. At that rate, you will be putting in more miles per year than MB1 and Miss M.
Last week, there was one day of freak snow and ice. I got out my door, took one step onto the road, and called my friend for a carpool.

I'm not suicidal. I also live in Seattle, not Baltimore.

My coldest commute this winter was 17 degrees F, and it was not actively snowing.

I might consider a studded-tire MTB, if I lived in nastier climates, and at least riding partway, but there are only an average of 6 days of snow per year in Seattle.

Now that I think about this, I am hungry again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have commuted acouple of days in a row. I also have a 17 mile each way commute with a climb coming out of work at the end of the day. Like they said before me "it wears on you" and you have to eat a lot to keep your body fueled. I am going to try to do a five day in a row commute this summer, I think.

·
Registered
106 Posts
cpcritter said:
I have commuted acouple of days in a row. I also have a 17 mile each way commute with a climb coming out of work at the end of the day. Like they said before me "it wears on you" and you have to eat a lot to keep your body fueled. I am going to try to do a five day in a row commute this summer, I think.
My last job was 20 miles each way (40 mile RT), and at most I could manage regularlay was 3 times a week. Usually it ended up as 2 days a week.

My new(er) job is just 6 miles each way, but I extend it in the AM to make to AM ride 15-20 miles, and the ride home at night is short.

I am able to reasonably do this 3 days a week, and day 4 I do the short ride each way. I am driving in one day a week until the daylight gets longer. I love night riding, but it grinds on you.

I vote that you only bike in 2-3 days a week, or as others have said, get a ride half-way. , or drive in 2-3 days a week and bike the other days,

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
That's one long commute. Mine's 18 miles one way, and riding that 4 or 5 days in a row can tire me out pretty good.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Sounds to me like the work day is getting in the way of your riding.

·
I'm workin' on it....
251 Posts
I'm in the same boat, Argentius. The lab where I work moved to a different town, and my commute went from 11 miles each way to 35. It's a pretty flat ride, but it's often really windy. I only do it about once a week now, which is a bummer because I really like commuting on the bike.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
That would be a 4-hour daily commute for me. Way too much. If my commute were that long, I would shoot for once a week. No way I could ride metric centuries day after day. My body would rebel, and that's not even considering the time commitment.

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
Damn man, my 15 mile one way commute sure started to wear on my this past spring/summer, and i had pretty nice weather. I like riding, but after a certain point, You're devoting too darn much of your spare time to getting to and from work. And no, I wouldn't want to drive it, either. But do what you want, keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts