Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Try to limit yourself to three packs a day.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
cigar smoker here

B15serv said:
haha I know this is so wrong of me but you should see the looks I get on my roadbike while wearing a full kit and lighting up a camel at an intersection. My riding buddy laughs everytime.
I enjoy a good cigar a couple of times a week. It would be funny to light one up after a group ride

·
(not a real racer)
484 Posts
I use to smoke back in my MTB days. I quit, feel better blah blah blah.

My brother smokes a couple cigs a day and can still drop me like a rock when we ride. Maybe I should start again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Funny you should ask!

I had a cigar on Friday night, and my neighbor commented, as i was sitting on the front steps of my house, "Gee, I see you riding into work in your cycling duds in the morning, and now you're out here having a cigar tonight!"

Truth be told, it was my first in 7 months, and I have maybe four or five a year now. Friday night was just one of those nights that begged for a good cigar and a scotch.

Ever since I started riding again somewhat seriously and regularly a few years ago, my taste for cigars has all but disappeared.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
The ultimate oxymoron

DaveG said:
I enjoy a good cigar a couple of times a week.
At least for anyone else who has to smell it, there's no such thing as a good cigar. My brother once put it well regarding a mutual acquaintence who used to smoke cigars "Is he still smoking those dog turds?" Cigar smokers never want to hear it, but the smell just gags the rest of us. Enjoy :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hate it when someone smokes near me and forces me to breathe second-hand. If you have addicted yourself, at least be courteous to those of us who haven't and smoke in private, not out on the street.

(yes, I know it is perfectly legal to smoke on the street and I'm SOL. It's a request.)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm sure you'd find very very few serious cyclists who smoke. Sure, a very few might be able to get away with it with seemingly no penalty but - it's not rocket surgery - smoking screws you up; no further preaching or pontificating is needed on that score.
There are old smokers, and there are strong smokers, but very few old, strong, smokers.
But, you know, a few years ago I was climbing one of my favorite hills not far from home; I overtake a guy on a bike, dressed in normal clothing, struggling in way too big a gear, and he's smoking. My first instinct was to blast by him and laugh - maybe slow down and pass him again, just to make him feel as stupid as he looked. But then I thought, hey - this guy is just a normal guy using a bike as a commuting vehicle; something most of us would certainly like to see more people doing, right? Who am I to discourage him?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I must say i am always sure to not smoke near others that dont like it. I personally cant stand those clove cigs so i always try to respect others. I did quit for awhile a year back and oddly enough my riding hasnt seemed to take a hit from smoking. though i dont smoke much. haha when in the trails though i see a lot of guys that take weed breaks throughout the ride. haha if i did that id be in a tree in no time

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Now we know the key to Mario's success.

I've seen, and it seemed really odd, guys smoking while cycling, probably three times in the last year. These are day laborers, though, not hobbyists. I'm wondering if it's worse to smoke while riding because the smoke will go deeper.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
California L33 said:
Now we know the key to Mario's success.

I've seen, and it seemed really odd, guys smoking while cycling, probably three times in year. These are day laborers, though, not hobbyists. I'm wondering if it's worse to smoke while riding because the smoke will go deeper.
Eddie Merckx was and is a smoker in case anyone's interested. A lot of the old riders used to smoke. Occasionally mind you but still a lot more than most people imagine.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Back when I was young and resilient in the 1980s and early 1990s I’d smoke a couple cigarettes ride after a long ride. Although I never smoked more than a pack a day, I smoked for a total of about 20 years, and damn glad I finally quit. Wow, I was a moron to have smoked for that many years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Smoking is just one of those things I will never understand. If someone had said to you when you were growing up that in the future you will be paying to kill yourself, you would have laughed. Though probably not quite as hard had they said, you would also be spending time and money trying to stay fit and healthy!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I do, it's gross. I quit smoking a few years ago and switched to dipping and got into really good shape. On my birthday this year I decided I want to be completely tobacco free so I quit.

That stint lasted 43 days and saw my best finish ever in a road race (6th in a 3/4 field but I don't race on the road that much.) My girlfriend at the time was a smoker and after a few visits to the bar I was lighting up again.

Now I'm in a constant battle to quit. All of my friends are the outdooorsy kind and none of them smoke, it's just a bad habit I picked up and want to get rid of. I have vowed to be smoke free by the end of the summer seeing as I'm moving to the mountains for a few months and would like to get back into race shape for next nationals season.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.