Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
chica cyclista
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Click here ---> From the Sartorialist blog.

fine you lazy moreons, I'll see if my link-fu is strong enough to embed the photo...



YES I KNOW SHE'S NOT WEARING A HELMET. Stay with me here, folks. The Sartorialist has even mentioned the fact that he'd love to see a well pulled-together and safety-conscious riding outfit, including a helmet that didn't look silly / dorky / out of place. Whatever.

There are, in fact, some very pertinent social reasons why this exact sort of publicity is a good thing for cycling. It shows cycling off as an everyday, easy activity, one that anyone can engage in without going to great lengths to "accessorize", get ready to go ride, figure out what to do with specialized shoes/helmet/etc... when you get to your destination, et cetera.

It also shows it as a healthy activity that is sexy and good for you AS WELL AS pointing out that attractive girls can have some muscles too; i.e. they don't have to resemble a bag of broomsticks.

This concludes your PSA for today, lfr out.
 

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
This concludes your PSA for today, lfr out.
and amen to women with muscles...

guys that are attracted to women who have the backside of a 12yr old boy puzzle me
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
lot8con8 said:
I might overlook that her error in not wearing it. :D
Not me, whenever I see a beautiful woman on a bike without a helmet I think how sad it would be for her beautiful forehead to get sanded down by the road if she were to do a header.

Makes me sad. :(

In the case of the one in the photo though, I'd probably offer to buy her one. :)
 

·
vexatious enigma
Joined
·
4,696 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
Click here ---> From the Sartorialist blog.

YES I KNOW SHE'S NOT WEARING A HELMET. Stay with me here, folks. The Sartorialist has even mentioned the fact that he'd love to see a well pulled-together and safety-conscious riding outfit, including a helmet that didn't look silly / dorky / out of place. Whatever.
In my opinion that wouldn't work. By the standard that has been built up fashionable riding is just about out of place. So fashionable riding is in itself a great irony and out of place.This hasn't stopped a few companies or fashion designers from trying.
 

·
chica cyclista
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
terry b said:
Not me, whenever I see a beautiful woman on a bike without a helmet I think how sad it would be for her beautiful forehead to get sanded down by the road if she were to do a header.

Makes me sad. :(

In the case of the one in the photo though, I'd probably offer to buy her one. :)
the thing is... this is such a US-centric notion. I know our traffic is worse, yadda yadda. However, very few cyclists in Germany or the Netherlands (places I've been to) wears helmets to do simple daily chores such as shopping, etc... Bike culture is strong in those cities mainly due to the fact that it's viewed as "normal". Not some daring "thing" you do.

If you suggested to someone from, say, Amsterdam that they should wear a helmet cycling, they would look at you as if you'd just suggested you need to wear a helmet to walk up the street to go to Safeway.

Also there's been arguments back and forth as to how effective helmets really are, and I'm not going to get into that there.

THAT SAID, I would be very much the worse for wear today did I not wear a helmet nearly 100% of the time. In fact, I just busted one on Friday night riding my fixie to the bar - apparently one of my crappy old pedals seized a bearing and backed itself out on me, and I went over the handlebars. Got a nice shiner and some road rash on my face.

A helmet also did absolutely nothing to save the gal who went face first into the guardrail behind me in a road race a few years back. Just saying.

Anyway I don't want to open that can of worms here. I just wanted to share a pretty photo of a pretty girl, not start a pointless debate in an echo chamber.
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
Looking at the girl in the background, evidently walking is very good for the legs also. Wow.
 

·
Always changing.....
Joined
·
4,523 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
THAT SAID, I would be very much the worse for wear today did I not wear a helmet nearly 100% of the time. In fact, I just busted one on Friday night riding my fixie to the bar - apparently one of my crappy old pedals seized a bearing and backed itself out on me, and I went over the handlebars. Got a nice shiner and some road rash on my face.
.
I hear ya, I wear one all the time now too. However as kid growing up, the only people sometimes wearing helmets were hocky players.

I used to ride my 10 speed everywhere without any helmet. And on some of the worst highways even. Living in the country, you had to ride them to get into town. Maybe I got lucky. I even remember the time I jumped the large gap we created by diggin a hole out of the ground and broke the forks off my bike that had the banana seat. That was a burtual landing. I still remember my ol'man poiting his fnger at me; break'em agin (forks), and I won't weld them back in place. I still jumped it and the welds still held.
 

·
chica cyclista
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ridgetop said:
Looking at the girl in the background, evidently walking is very good for the legs also. Wow.
walking in heels everywhere builds up your calves like nobody's business. Ask me how I know this...
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
We just spent a few days in Amsterdam & wish I had a $1 dollar for every beautiful woman we say a.) in a short skirt, b.) with high heels on, & c.) on a bike............it's just routine.

Len

 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
the thing is... this is such a US-centric notion. I know our traffic is worse, yadda yadda. However, very few cyclists in Germany or the Netherlands (places I've been to) wears helmets to do simple daily chores such as shopping, etc... Bike culture is strong in those cities mainly due to the fact that it's viewed as "normal". Not some daring "thing" you do.

If you suggested to someone from, say, Amsterdam that they should wear a helmet cycling, they would look at you as if you'd just suggested you need to wear a helmet to walk up the street to go to Safeway.

Also there's been arguments back and forth as to how effective helmets really are, and I'm not going to get into that there.

THAT SAID, I would be very much the worse for wear today did I not wear a helmet nearly 100% of the time. In fact, I just busted one on Friday night riding my fixie to the bar - apparently one of my crappy old pedals seized a bearing and backed itself out on me, and I went over the handlebars. Got a nice shiner and some road rash on my face.

A helmet also did absolutely nothing to save the gal who went face first into the guardrail behind me in a road race a few years back. Just saying.

Anyway I don't want to open that can of worms here. I just wanted to share a pretty photo of a pretty girl, not start a pointless debate in an echo chamber.

Helmets have their place, but I rarely wear one riding around town on my cruiser bike.
 

·
Captain Obvious
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
yummy
 

·
chica cyclista
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Len J said:
We just spent a few days in Amsterdam & wish I had a $1 dollar for every beautiful woman we say a.) in a short skirt, b.) with high heels on, & c.) on a bike............it's just routine.

Len
I know! isn't it awesome?

The fact that the Sartorialist captured one "in the wild" in NYC gives me hope that one day, hopefully soon, this may become routine in the larger US metro areas as well. Biking as a "lifestyle statement" is fine, and I'm a lifestyle cyclist, and I think back on a time when the fancy Klein hanging on the wall in Seinfeld's (??) apartment made a "big statement" on TV. Nowadays post-Armstrong? Not so much. This is a good thing.

IMO when the day comes that Joe / Jane Public feel confident enough to grab their bike to just run daily errands as a matter of course, rather than fire up the SUV, then that is an indicator of a vibrant, healthy metro infrastructure, among other things. Portland is already getting there. Boulder is kinda sorta there, but they have a ways to go. I can think of other towns that are trying.
 

·
Resident Dutchbag
Joined
·
11,864 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
the thing is... this is such a US-centric notion. I know our traffic is worse, yadda yadda. However, very few cyclists in Germany or the Netherlands (places I've been to) wears helmets to do simple daily chores such as shopping, etc... Bike culture is strong in those cities mainly due to the fact that it's viewed as "normal". Not some daring "thing" you do.

If you suggested to someone from, say, Amsterdam that they should wear a helmet cycling, they would look at you as if you'd just suggested you need to wear a helmet to walk up the street to go to Safeway.

Also there's been arguments back and forth as to how effective helmets really are, and I'm not going to get into that there.

THAT SAID, I would be very much the worse for wear today did I not wear a helmet nearly 100% of the time. In fact, I just busted one on Friday night riding my fixie to the bar - apparently one of my crappy old pedals seized a bearing and backed itself out on me, and I went over the handlebars. Got a nice shiner and some road rash on my face.

A helmet also did absolutely nothing to save the gal who went face first into the guardrail behind me in a road race a few years back. Just saying.

Anyway I don't want to open that can of worms here. I just wanted to share a pretty photo of a pretty girl, not start a pointless debate in an echo chamber.
Not wearing helmets is kinda our second amendment.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top