Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"People intuitively believe that eating healthy foods in addition to unhealthy ones can decrease a meal’s calorie count.”

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/News_Articles/2010/the-dieters-paradox.aspx

"What was even more surprising, however, was that dieters — who are presumably more involved in monitoring their caloric intake and more familiar with the caloric content of different meal options —were even more likely to fall into the negative-calorie illusion trap."

I had a triple cheeseburger for lunch, but it's OK because I also had a salad.

(not really. I had a ham sandwich and a few cherry tomatoes)

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
"People intuitively believe that eating healthy foods in addition to unhealthy ones can decrease a meal’s calorie count.”

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/News_Articles/2010/the-dieters-paradox.aspx

"What was even more surprising, however, was that dieters — who are presumably more involved in monitoring their caloric intake and more familiar with the caloric content of different meal options —were even more likely to fall into the negative-calorie illusion trap."

I had a triple cheeseburger for lunch, but it's OK because I also had a salad.

(not really. I had a ham sandwich and a few cherry tomatoes)
salad also had 2 gallons of ranch, a brick of cheese, shredded, and a ton of bacon.

But it's a SALAD! It's HEALTHY!

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
wellllllllllllllllll, if you eat the salad FIRST, you might not eat the whole cheeseburger

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
What about Diet Coke? that ought to negate at least two Double Downs!

joe

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
What a crap conclusion. People try to fool themselves into believing this but it's hardly intuitive. People know, they just don't care. The desire to over eat and eat crap is just too strong. It's called rationalization and it's not intuitive, it's conscious.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
the irony is that there ARE foods you can eat that will actually PROMOTE weight loss when you eat them as supplements to a normal, repeat, normal caloric intake (say 2000 daily calories)

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
I'm going out for mexican for lunch. Should I get the extra large smothered burrito with a diet pepsi?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
asciibaron said:
portion control is the key.

Half a Baconator for breakfast, the other half for lunch, and a whole Baconator for dinner.

joe

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Half a Baconator for breakfast, the other half for lunch, and a whole Baconator for dinner.

joe
i bet that would work if you expended the calories chasing the bus.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Chain said:
I'm going out for mexican for lunch. Should I get the extra large smothered burrito with a diet pepsi?

Don't forget the chips, salsa, guac and an appetizer of beef taquitos with sour cream!

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
asciibaron said:
i bet that would work if you expended the calories chasing the bus.

Cept you'd probably only poop once a month.

joe

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Two fingers down is the only thing that will negate two Double Downs.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
I'm constantly amazed by how stupid people are about weight loss.

I think it's mostly people trying to fool themselves with easy answers. A balanced and healthy diet is important, but if you don't up calories out and reduce calories in, weight loss is unlikely. Even the whole idea of "a diet" is idiotic. It should be patently obvious to people that the weight will come back as soon as the diet ends. Barring unusual medical circumstances, you should never embark on a type of diet you would not be happy with for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
nealric said:
I'm constantly amazed by how stupid people are about weight loss.

I think it's mostly people trying to fool themselves with easy answers. A balanced and healthy diet is important, but if you don't up calories out and reduce calories in, weight loss is unlikely. Even the whole idea of "a diet" is idiotic. It should be patently obvious to people that the weight will come back as soon as the diet ends. Barring unusual medical circumstances, you should never embark on a type of diet you would not be happy with for the rest of your life.

Well said. Too bad vanity drives the bus, the sheeple wants pills, make excuses, and are looking for someone else to blame......

·
slow rider
385 Posts
Snicker bar + diet coke = zero calories :rolleyes:

I thought everybody new that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts