Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
rooster rubber
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LONDON — British Airways apologized on Friday after a crew member mistakenly played an emergency message warning Hong Kong-bound passengers that the plane they were on was about to plunge into the sea.

About 275 passengers on a Tuesday flight out of London's Heathrow Airport heard the message: "This is an emergency. We may shortly need to make an emergency landing on water," NBC News reported.

"People were terrified, we all thought we were going to die," passenger Michelle Lord, 32, told Britain's The Sun newspaper, which first reported the incident. "They said the pilot hit the wrong button because they were so close together."

"I can't think of anything worse than being told your plane's about to crash," the Sun quoted another passenger as saying.

The plane was flying over the North Sea at the time.

Cabin crew on the Boeing 747 quickly reassured passengers that the message was a mistake and there was no emergency, NBC News reported.

"We would like to apologize to passengers on board the flight for causing them undue distress," British Airways said in a statement.

"Our cabin crew immediately made an announcement following the message advising customers that it was played in error and that the flight would continue as normal," the airline said

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Women Drivers

A shot from the Box Office

(The female version of a airplane cockpit. To be used when the entire flight crew is female.)

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,784 Posts
They have a button for that? I know in the event of a real emergency they'll all be busy trying to not crash the plane but I would think a personal notification would be in order; at least just tell the stewardesses to pass on the info.

Do they have a button for every disaster?

Press #1 for going down in flames
Press #2 for crashing into the sea
Press #3 for hijacked by terrorist
Press #4 for landing gear won't go down

And so on...

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
hfc said:
They have a button for that? I know in the event of a real emergency they'll all be busy trying to not crash the plane but I would think a personal notification would be in order; at least just tell the stewardesses to pass on the info.

Do they have a button for every disaster?

Press #1 for going down in flames
Press #2 for crashing into the sea
Press #3 for hijacked by terrorist
Press #4 for landing gear won't go down

And so on...
I hate it when they press the "crashing into the sea button" instead of the "going down in flames button."

///// need a Press #5 button for crashing into the mountainside.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I think they landed on Argentius's face instead...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts