Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Art's Cyclery Blog » NAHBS ? Brought to you by ENVE

I think I feel a little motion-sickness from all the gushing.

It says "ENVE rims are made solely in the United States of America. This allows them better quality control, less lead time in product development, and supports the American economy—something that seemingly always needs a boost."

No mention of the recalled road disc forks, which were made in Vietnam. Which makes me wonder what else is made in Vietnam, with the above-quoted swooning rim-job notwithstanding.

Still, my steel bike would look more better with some nice plastic $3K wheels with color-coodinated decals ($25 extra per wheel) under my copious arse.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Enve was just bought out by mavic. Will their manufacturing move?

And the "molded" spoke holes (vs drilled) -- I wonder if that will change.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
The wheels are made in the US. So are the hubs, the MTB stem and I think the MTB bar too. All road components and forks are made in... overseas somewhere.

The wheels are all built by machine, it's just the rims that are made by hand.

Oh, and my decals from them cost $150. $25 a wheel? Maybe just basic colors or whatever. White outlines are not a basic color...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
So all those NAHBS bikes have ENVE seatposts...the ones with the crappy "it won't stay put who on god's green Earth thought this was a good idea" one-bolt seatposts that won't keep your saddle angle/position locked?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wheels are made in the US. So are the hubs, the MTB stem and I think the MTB bar too. All road components and forks are made in... overseas somewhere.

The wheels are all built by machine, it's just the rims that are made by hand.

Oh, and my decals from them cost $150. $25 a wheel? Maybe just basic colors or whatever. White outlines are not a basic color...
Maybe they sell them for $25 each? Did you get six?

They make nice eye candy:

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I believe anything other than a solid color from a short list qualifies as "custom." Even something as simple as the normal black but with white outlines. The charge for custom is $150 a set. And for the normal colors, I think they're free when you buy a set of wheels.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That's not correct, and this is precisely how bad info gets spread on the internet.

Enve was purchased by Amer Sports Corporation, a Finnish company, which also owns Mavic, Salomon, Wilson, Atomic, Arc’teryx, Suunto, Precor, DeMarini, and Louisville Slugger.
Read more at Amer Sports, Mavic's owner, to purchase Enve - VeloNews.com
May be incorrect, but it is being reported that "Mavic buys ENVE" or "Mavic and ENVE join forces" or "Mavic-owner buys ENVE". If you write that Amer Sport's buys ENVE, most people won't know what you mean.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
May be incorrect, but it is being reported that "Mavic buys ENVE" or "Mavic and ENVE join forces" or "Mavic-owner buys ENVE". If you write that Amer Sport's buys ENVE, most people won't know what you mean.
It is kind of like if Eurosport and its parent company was bought by Sky Inc.

Which sounds all well and good and blase....until you connect the dots and realise that Rupert Murdoch just bought the Discovery Channel.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Nonsense.

If you do a Google search for "Enve sold", the following headlines are the first five at the top of the list:

Enve Sold to Finnish Sports Conglomerate
Mavic's owner, Amer Sports, buys Enve Composites
ENVE Sold To Mavic Owner Amer Sports
Mavic's parent company Amer Sports acquires ENVE
Mavic and Enve Composites under same ownership

In none of the results is it reported that Mavic bought Enve.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey folks, let's remember the purpose of the thread is to cynically mock the slobbering fanboi article.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
So all those NAHBS bikes have ENVE seatposts...the ones with the crappy "it won't stay put who on god's green Earth thought this was a good idea" one-bolt seatposts that won't keep your saddle angle/position locked?
I agree and have heard plenty of stories, but actually never had an issue with mine. I went weightweenie a few months ago with an ax lightness.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Meh . . Mavic and Enve both make crap IMO anyway. Buy Zipps if you want America wheels. Enve goes as long way to hide Low quality Asian made products.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's steep for decals.. damn.. I'd rather go decal-less.
Actually, it is a pretty good deal if you just buy the decals and apply them to your aluminum rims.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I remove all removable logo decals off all bike stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Meh . . Mavic and Enve both make crap IMO anyway. Buy Zipps if you want America wheels. Enve goes as long way to hide Low quality Asian made products.
Yeah like building a factory here in Utah and "hiring" production workers to do not actually do lay-ups and assembly. They just slap $150 decals on the wheels and call it a day. It's all for show so they can import from Asia....Jerks!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
This! Couldn't have said it better.

I'm in the process of dumping my Chinese made Enve handlebar and retarded seatpost that was once believed to be made in USA.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have this seatpost and I can confirm that it's s&#t.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
I have this seatpost and I can confirm that it's s&#t.
I was in the market for a seatpost...and went for a Thomson instead. glad I did given what I read.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts