Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have DA 7900 grouppo on my new bike with a DA 7900 cassette and chain.

I'd like to use the wheel from my old bike on my trainer and for some training rides. trouble is, it's got an Ultegra cassette. Can I use the Ultegra cassette with a DA 7900 chain?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
absolutely. there is NO difference in the shape of the cogs on the new 7900. they are the same as all previous 10spd shimano cassettes. the overall weight of the new 7900 cassette has come down a bit, that's all. the reason shimano is saying to use the new chain w/ the new group is the shaping of the chainrings.

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
cxwrench said:
absolutely. there is NO difference in the shape of the cogs on the new 7900. they are the same as all previous 10spd shimano cassettes. the overall weight of the new 7900 cassette has come down a bit, that's all. the reason shimano is saying to use the new chain w/ the new group is the shaping of the chainrings.

Thanks....But I forgot to mention that my old cassette is 9 speed. I assume a 10 speed chain cannot be used with a 9 speed cassette. If that assumption is correct, can I put a 10 speed cassette on my old Mavic Ksyrium SSL wheel?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I just don't know anything about component compatibility issues.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
jtsk said:
Thanks....But I forgot to mention that my old cassette is 9 speed. I assume a 10 speed chain cannot be used with a 9 speed cassette. If that assumption is correct, can I put a 10 speed cassette on my old Mavic Ksyrium SSL wheel?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I just don't know anything about component compatibility issues.
Actually, the chain is fine, but the 9-speed spacing won't work with the 10- speed derrailer.

Fresh cassette, and all is good.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
jtsk said:

The chain might work on the 9 speed (not sure tooth width is that significantly different), however, shifting gears would be problematic. The spacing between the cogs is different from a 9 to 10 speed. So each click of the shifter will not perfectly line up with the cassette. Best bet is to get a 10 speed cassette for your old Mavic. Just make sure the cassette is not the newer Shimano 10 speed (different splines from what I understand, at least on the DA stuff). So, I'd recommend a SRAM or IRD shimano spaced cassette. They'll probably be cheaper too. Or a used older Shimano.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
krisdrum said:
The chain might work on the 9 speed (not sure tooth width is that significantly different), however, shifting gears would be problematic. The spacing between the cogs is different from a 9 to 10 speed. So each click of the shifter will not perfectly line up with the cassette. Best bet is to get a 10 speed cassette for your old Mavic. Just make sure the cassette is not the newer Shimano 10 speed (different splines from what I understand, at least on the DA stuff). So, I'd recommend a SRAM or IRD shimano spaced cassette. They'll probably be cheaper too. Or a used older Shimano.
agreed

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
cassette splines..

krisdrum said:

All shimano 10 cassettes fit on any Shimano 9/10 hub or "10 speed only" (DA 7800) hubs. You can't put a 9 speed cassette on a 7800 hub because the major diameter of the hub's splines is too large.

The new 10 speed cassettes should come with a spacer that must be used in addition to the spacer already on the Mavic M10 hub.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts