Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
This is why I never lock my bike up, it goes with me, even to my office (even thought he building security gives me crap about it)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Damn that's a good one. Didn't know they could cut through the racks.
Of course, given enough time you can cut anything. The clever trick here is hiding the temporary re-assembly. They cut the rack when no one is around and there's time (probably in the middle of the night), making the later grab quick and inconspicuous.

From the looks of it, that's a concrete-filled pipe. That takes some heavy-duty cutting tools.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
It's like bike fishing. The cyclist puts their fish on the line. The thieves just have to check their lines once in a while and reel in their catch. Clever and terrible.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Many years ago I was in the Navy. I was stationed in the SF Bay Area, lived in the city. My ship went to sea for a while and we stopped in San Diego for a few days. I had my bike on the ship with me and had it locked up on the pier next to the ship. I had a weekend off and flew back home to see my girlfriend (now my wife). We drove my car back to the airport on Sunday and left her with my keys, including the key to my bike lock. Doh!

There was no way I was leaving the bike on the pier, and I also didn't want to ruin a perfectly good lock, so I took my guys down on the pier for some "training". We used the ultra high temp torch and cut through the rack, and then I walked away with my bike, took about 15 seconds.

So yes, you can cut through a bike rack.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
On a video I watched a few years ago, a NYC thief had found a no parking sign that could be pulled out from the sidewalk. Same basic idea, no cutting involved.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
This is why I fought so hard to ensure free/overnight bike parking in the building's garage. Even down there, though, with the bomb-sniffing dogs and round-the-clock security, there's no guarantee that a bike won't get stolen.

Those parking signs are great for bike parking, but I always check to make sure they're not loose. Also, they can't be too short, otherwise the bike and lock can be lifted over.

Hell, I once learned that a thief can use Freon to spray a lock, then bash it open with a long pole hidden in the pants leg. There are no limits to their ingenuity.

You'd think that bikes were somehow *valued* in our society :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Why do so many sketchy internet adds make claims that you can do something "with this one weird trick"? Why is it always a weird trick?

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Why do so many sketchy internet adds make claims that you can do something "with this one weird trick"? Why is it always a weird trick?
There are no weird tricks. Only weird people who do tricks.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It wouldn't be easier to steal from me this way. There is no way someone is getting on my bike unless they provide some ID, Collateral, (ID+ Phone) In a public area and with me standing by with my chase vehicle...

As my father used to say. Locks just keep honest people honest. If someone really wants to steal your stuff, they are probably going to be able to do it. It's just a matter of time and resourcefulness...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts