Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Custom Title= ?
785 Posts
Wonderful image. Junior’s focus and intensity; loves listening to Pa’s stories. Love that Ittybitty bar, too.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Capt. Offtheback said:
This Pic Says It All
...and we wonder why the US can't field more GOOD pros...

Get em riding this young like they do playing Pop Warner and Little League and viola! instant farm system.

Too bad it doesn't seem to be a focus of any clubs/teams (that I know of) to start kids riding in a structured environment like the euros do.

Oh well. When I make my fortune, I'll start a juniors team!

M

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i think the US manages to do just fine. granted, you don't see many clubs pushing a youth program, but how many kids races are going on?

this is a pic from the www a local club outside of Amsterdam

MShaw said:

Get em riding this young like they do playing Pop Warner and Little League and viola! instant farm system.

Too bad it doesn't seem to be a focus of any clubs/teams (that I know of) to start kids riding in a structured environment like the euros do.

Oh well. When I make my fortune, I'll start a juniors team!

M

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
MShaw said:
When I make my fortune, I'll start a juniors team! M
Most kids in this country prefer mtn biking over road riding. My son (now 16) has been racing cross country MTB for several years. Getting him to road ride with me is like pulling teeth, but he is just coming around to the opinion that riding a road bike helps him with aerobic endurance - but he still thinks it's boring.

Face it - football, baseball, basketball are the predominant sports in USA. NASCAR will always be more popular than cycling (what a terrible thought).

·
Custom Title= ?
785 Posts
My apologies. I should have guessed that the metaphor would be a reach for some. I wouldn't miss a word of those stories....

·
Registered
4 Posts
SantaCruz said:
Most kids in this country prefer mtn biking over road riding. My son (now 16) has been racing cross country MTB for several years. Getting him to road ride with me is like pulling teeth, but he is just coming around to the opinion that riding a road bike helps him with aerobic endurance - but he still thinks it's boring.

Face it - football, baseball, basketball are the predominant sports in USA. NASCAR will always be more popular than cycling (what a terrible thought).
And don't forget playing video games. uggh.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Junior development is not dead. It depends on the area you are in and the organization of those in charge. Within the last few years, NJ has been making huge gains in Junior development racing.

It began with a rather simple rebate to clubs that had juniors on their roster. A $500 rebate to clubs with at least 3 juniors was a nice incentive. There are now over a dozen clubs which include a Junior program.
Here are some of the things now offered to Juniors in NJ:
-Free or minimal registration fees
-Separate category Junior races
-A Junior only mid-week training race
-A Juniors only stage race including a TT, Circuit, and Crit race.

If attempts are not being made to attract Juniors to races, it is time to ask the organizers why.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts