Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been curious to try a deep section carbon wheel, but being a big guy, I didn't want to invest $3k on a set of carbon wheels, only to melt the brake tracks and die on the first fast decent.

These have an aluminum brake track, a wide profile, and seem to check off all of the right boxes. $1100 seems like a 'too good to be true' price, especially when comparing to Zipp, ENVE, etc...

I'm a complete newb when it comes to carbon wheels though. Am I missing something?

HED Jet 6+ Carbon Road Wheelset - Clincher | Competitive Cyclist

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought I might try to find some Shimano C-35 on sale as a good all around carbon wheel.

I'm not too concerned about weight, but more about the crosswind handling (we have lots of those here).

The C-35 is on sale as well, just a few hundred more
Shimano C35 Carbon Road Wheelset - Clincher | Competitive Cyclist

Has Shimano announced new Dura Ace wheels yet? I'm wondering if these will get cheaper ...

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
They have. The C35 is dead now. Only rim that will be built like that now will be the C24. Similar to the construction of the C50, the new wheels are the C40 and C60. C75 and C50 are dead too.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have. The C35 is dead now. Only rim that will be built like that now will be the C24. Similar to the construction of the C50, the new wheels are the C40 and C60. C75 and C50 are dead too.
Thanks,

Good info.

I don't see the C40 for sale anywhere, at least not with a quick google search...

Is there anything I could know about the C-35 (or the HED Jet 6+) that would make me not want them? Known issues, etc?

I know the Shimano wheels have a good over all reputation (C-24's and Ultegra 6800's do anyway), and a lot of pro's race them successfully. I like the slightly wider profile of the HED's though, and the price is a little better.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The reason those HED wheels are heavier than you'd expect is because they are an aluminum rim with a non-structural carbon fairing permanently bonded (or glued on). It is not just an aluminum brake track carbon wheelset.

I have some HED Jets and they are solid wheels with a price point more affordable than full carbon race wheel offerings. They do have full carbon wheels though too that a bit lighter (their Stinger brand) but those are tubulars only.

Another nice thing about HED is they don't use any special proprietary parts (with the exception of their Hubs) so if you break a spoke you can just replace it with one off the shelf (they use CX-Rays or whatever bladed version..forget exactly which model).

·
Registered
363 Posts
As far as the wheels go they should be competitive with anything else that depth aerodynamically although probably a bit heavier than full carbon. I've read a couple accounts that they are flexy since they are pretty low spoke count box section rims with a fairing but it's hard to tell the validity of a couple anecdotes on the internet.

If you can wait a few months you may want to see if they drop the price back down in the november/december time frame. Also check out activejunky for cash back from there, usually around 7% :thumbsup:

Another alternative is Flo, they make a aluminum rim/carbon fairing wheel for around the price of those Heds. They have more spoke options as well. Downside is you have to wait for them to get a shipment sometimes.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

I've been running HED Belgium and Belguim+ 28f/32r wheels on my bikes, basically forever. I am completely happy with them in a general sense. I've never even had to true them.

I've also been mildly curious about a moderately deep section wheel for a while, mostly out of curiosity, and not out of any 'need'.

I briefly owned a bike that had Dura Ace C-24's on it. I probably rode it 200 miles before I sold it (a little too small for me). They worked great, but I honestly didn't feel like there was any real benefit to them over the long haul than my HED's. I don't miss them, but I was intrigued by the carbon/aluminium aspect.

As a testament to my lack of knowledge, I didn't even realize there were aluminum wheels with carbon fairings, vs carbon wheels with aluminum brake tracks.

From the sounds of things, manufacturers are moving away from the bonded brake track wheels, and have (I assume) solved the 'melty brake track' problem on full carbon wheels?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts