Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bane of university employment is having to sit on stupid committees. I just got appointed to the traffic and parking committee, which should be interesting since I got rid of my car and commute by bicycle and since parking spaces are an incredibly touchy subject for most employees (both faculty and staff). I'm going to have to work on my sinister laugh.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
this could become an interesting thread.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
I know you'll throw a major monkey wrench in the works, by bringing up crazy ideas about logic, fairness, and sensibility.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I laugh at how some people equate their self-worth to their parking place. "Hah! You have to walk 20' to the door! I only have to walk 15'... I rock!"

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
Jim311 said:
I was the chairman of the itty bitty titty committee from 87-94.
pics or it didn't...oh wait...nevermind :)

Ahh, committee work. In the quieter moments, if you concentrate, you can actually feel your soul draining from your body.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Parking at the university I work for is a huge issue. It's incredible how huffy people get over it.

I attended a large state school where you would park more than half a mile away from a lot of the buildings on campus. I just used Google Pedometer and at my old school I would walk anywhere from just about half a mile to almost 3/4 of a mile to get to my building. At my current uni it's less than 1/4 mile to get just about anywhere on campus.

I currently buy the cheapest parking pass, only because I'm required to have one. Supposedly there is going to be a free lot next semester, and I plan on doing that.

My school is currently working on doing an auction for certain lots. It's incredible how much people are willing to pay for a "good" parking space.

joe

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Creakyknees said:
I know you'll throw a major monkey wrench in the works, by bringing up crazy ideas about logic, fairness, and sensibility.
I'm already thinking about proposing to sell off our parking lots to a commercial operator who can allocate parking spaces on the basis of who's willing to pay the most; and focusing our own energies on our core competency (I hope) of educating students.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
As mentioned above, think of this as an opportunity for self-enrichment :D

Done with great dignity, of course......

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Fredke said:
I'm already thinking about proposing to sell off our parking lots to a commercial operator who can allocate parking spaces on the basis of who's willing to pay the most; and focusing our own energies on our core competency (I hope) of educating students.
Whoa...coleges r fur edecasion? An to theenk i thawt it wuz al abawt getin drunck and lade!!

·
In Blue America
436 Posts
What does the parking committee do, anyway? Or supposed to do - what is the charter, and the mission/vision stuff?

Ooo...mission and vision statements. I think I have set the agenda for your first few meetings, and maybe even some subcommittee work!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Do away with all the spaces and put in bike racks and motorcycle parking. There will be plenty of space for commuters.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Fredke said:
Lease them and retain rights to the ground. Also give you an annual income rather than just a one time wad. Structure the lease so that the university gets a flat fee or a percentage of income or profit. Use the income for bike racks, indoor bike racks/security, bike valet or something along those lines.

Wear fishnet stockings to the meetings.... do not cross your legs....

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Oh, yea and make sure those on the committe get the best parking spots - gratis.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Chain said:
Lease them and retain rights to the ground. Also give you an annual income rather than just a one time wad. Structure the lease so that the university gets a flat fee or a percentage of income or profit. Use the income for bike racks, indoor bike racks/security, bike valet or something along those lines.
This.

Parking lots are great for expansion/new buildings/whatever. If you sell them outright, you end up in big trouble when you decide you need that land for expansion. Suddenly, that land is worth more per square inch then you sold it per square foot.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Fredke said:
Suggest that the engineering school and physics departments develop teleporters so that the faculty can just beam into their offices.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Chain said:

This.

joe

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chain said:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts