Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never trust anybody.........A lesson best learned at an early age.

Local woman rips off Girl Scout with phony $100 for cookies
By The Associated Press

TENINO — A woman used a phony $100 bill to pay for Girl Scout cookies and made her getaway before the 10-year-old seller's mother determined that the currency was counterfeit, police said.

The discovery turned delight at a 10-box sale to disappointment Sunday for Katie Lundquist, a member of Junior Girl Scouts Troop 594 in nearby Rainier.

"Sometimes you can't trust just anybody," the Scout told The Olympian on Monday.

She and her mother, Michelle Lundquist, said they were about to finish their cookie selling at Dave's Market Place when a woman appearing to be in her late teens to early 20s, 5-foot-2 and 110 pounds with blue eyes and shoulder-length blond hair ordered 10 boxes of Shortbread, Thin Mints, Peanut Butter Patties and Caramel deLites worth $40.

The buyer handed the girl a $100 bill and the mother made change with some $20 bills from her pocket.

"I was just being nice," the mother said. "It's the Girl Scouts thing to do."

When Lundquist saw the bill, she suspected it might be fake and asked the grocery manager for help, but the woman left while it was being checked with a counterfeit-detector pen.

"By that time, I didn't even know what car she was in," Lundquist said.

The woman may have been driving a light-colored sedan that was seen leaving the area, and surveillance tapes from video cameras outside the store were being examined, police Lt. Robin Ayers said.

Scouts sometimes get bad checks for cookies but rarely are handed counterfeit money, said Dorothy Nelson, communication and marketing director for the Girl Scouts Pacific Peaks Council.

The council will make up the loss to Troop 594 after receiving the police report, Nelson added.

"This is not a loss to the girls," she said.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I always tell the lazy buggers that if they want money they can bloody well work for it, but this might be a better way of getting the message through. ;)

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
What a fscking lamo thing to do. I'd take a bat to their head if I were able to find them.

My daughter sold 355 boxes in our neighborhood. We've spent the past two weekends delivering them. The GS policy is that you can not collect the $$$ until you deliver the cookies. While we've had zero orders renegged on there have been several who tried to deny that they ordered them in the first place... that is until I pulled out the order form with their name, number, address and what they ordered in THEIR handwriting. They usually say something along the lines of "I don't know why I ordered these, I don't even eat them." WTF? Why'd you order them then?

What sucks is that we're personally responsible to pay for any boxes that we don't collect on and the troop is responsible to pay for any boxes not sold during their booth sales (they have to preorder and do so based on the prior year's sales). It's good that the GSC is covering these poor kids in this case.

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
Lazy Buggers?

rogger said:
I always tell the lazy buggers that if they want money they can bloody well work for it, but this might be a better way of getting the message through. ;)
Cookie sales are a form of retail, which is a profit generating venture. Are you suggesting that cookie sales is a "bad" way to make money? Does this feeling of yours extend to all merchant activities? The only reason I ask is that is the same argument that Hitler used to justify vilification of the Jews in Europe.

Not calling you a Nazi or anything, but if the shoe fits...

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
53T said:
Cookie sales are a form of retail, which is a profit generating venture. Are you suggesting that cookie sales is a "bad" way to make money? Does this feeling of yours extend to all merchant activities? The only reason I ask is that is the same argument that Hitler used to justify vilification of the Jews in Europe.

Not calling you a Nazi or anything, but if the shoe fits...
Here:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.