Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a setback Thompson post on my XC mountain bike and I really like it, and it's quite a popular post between the mountain bikers here, but I have yet to see one on a roadbike. Thinking of upgrading my post on my roadbike, so was wondering if there's any reason you don't see those setback posts on roadbikes or what am I missing?

·
MING
419 Posts
I have seen a few setbacks, some Thomsons (note the lack of a 'p')

You might insult the fashion police, But to hell with them right? Thomson makes some damn fine products. I too have a post on my mountain bike, I also have a stem. If it is what you need to get you fitted right on your bike then that is what you need to do. You wont be really penalized in the weight department if stay away from a post that is like an iceberg and has 9/10s of its mass below the surface; only get the length you need (or hack it off) but be sure that you're within the minimum requirements for post and frame.

·
Custom Title= ?
785 Posts
Thomson

The Thomson posts are excellent; well made, micro-adjustable tilt, nearly indestructable. I have several Masterpieces in the inventory, a couple on my road bikes right now. Five outa five stars.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
phazer said:
Have a setback Thompson post on my XC mountain bike and I really like it, and it's quite a popular post between the mountain bikers here, but I have yet to see one on a roadbike. Thinking of upgrading my post on my roadbike, so was wondering if there's any reason you don't see those setback posts on roadbikes or what am I missing?
I have one on my roadbike and love it. Also have Thomson stem as well. I've seen a lot of them on the road. Setback posts are seen more on mtb's than on the road. It depends on the bike geometry and fit as to whether it is straight or setback. Do you have a setback on your roadbike now?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
phazer said:
Road bikes come in much more specific sizes/geometies to fit the rider so there's less need for a setback post to achieve a proper position. Lots of roadies are caught up in the carbon everything mode and buy into the belief that carbon posts will make a more comfortable ride. Factors like saddle choice and tire size and pressure come into play way before seatpost material properties.
The quality, adjustability, and good looks of Thompson posts make them just as if not more suited to road bikes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love my Thomson. I ride a pretty high-end Bianchi road bike, and probably have a contract out on me by the OCP police, but I would not use anything else. It never, ever gets out of adjustment, and it is tough. After shortening it to fit me/my bike, it was only about 25 grams heavier than the original carbon Bianchi post. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thompson seat posts you'll keep forever. I use it for mountain as well. I went with the layback for my road bike as the saddle (a Fizik Poggio) I was using didn't go back far enough. Well, then I got a different saddle this year ( a specialized something), and now I don't need the lay back anymore. It can depend on your saddle (or "chair," as its called in England) if you need a layback.

For a crit bike, I wouldn't want anything else but a Thompson. I've seen a lot of expensive posts get ruined in crashes. It's nice having one less thing to replace.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
don't agree..

Jesse D Smith said:
Road bikes come in much more specific sizes/geometies to fit the rider so there's less need for a setback post to achieve a proper position. Lots of roadies are caught up in the carbon everything mode and buy into the belief that carbon posts will make a more comfortable ride. Factors like saddle choice and tire size and pressure come into play way before seatpost material properties.
The quality, adjustability, and good looks of Thompson posts make them just as if not more suited to road bikes.
Road bikes have steeper STAs than MTBs and are usually intended to be used with traditional setback posts. MTBs usually have more slack STAs and use straight-up posts far more often. The majority of road bikes would not be suitable for a straight-up Thomson post. Even the setback Thomson model has less setback than traditional road posts (only 15mm compared to 20-25mm).

All that said, I've owned one road frame that worked fine with a straight Thomson post, but it's a small, 51cm frame with a slack 72.5 STA (LOOK KG381). LOOK is phasing out this traditional geoemtry and changing to the more modern trend of steeper STAs. The same size frame in a newer model (like a 555) will have a 74 or 74.5 degree STA, requiring at least 2cm more seatback than a straight-up post offers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thomson & Thompson?

Question - What is it a ThomPson when its actually a thomson?
I seen it spelled that way everywhere from riders to online shops. Any reasons??I am just curious. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
804 Posts
One more plug for riding a Thomson on your road bike.

I run Thomson layback posts on most all of my bikes with the exceptions being my winter MTBs and my TT bike which has a proprietary post.

Thomson = 5 stars

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I have a setback Thomson on one of my bikes. It required an oddball size (30.8 or some such nonsense, thank-you PegorettI) and the choices were limited at that time. I'm not able to use a straight post due to my required setback.

It works fine, is ugly as hell and had I not been painted into that corner I never would've chosen it. The straight Thomsons are wonderful to behold, I have them on both my MTBs.

·
Registered
593 Posts
hjtan said:
Question - What is it a ThomPson when its actually a thomson?
I seen it spelled that way everywhere from riders to online shops. Any reasons??I am just curious. :confused: :confused:
It is spelled Thomson. The name of the company is LH Thomson. As in Loronzo H. Thomson, who is the president of the company. BTW, a friend of mine, as well as myself, had seperate customer service related issues with Thomson in the last year or so (neither related to problems with products) and they were outstanding to both of us. Very satisfied with their products and their business.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
The zero setback Thomson Masterpiece is a great choice for a TT bike - one of the easiest to adjust posts I've ever had. I need setback on my other bikes so used other brands, but I think Thomson recently introduced their own setback model. If it's anything like their zero setback post I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.

·
Registered
638 Posts
There are many reasons to run a post other than a Thomson. You want something with more bling, you want a heavier carbon post, you want to spend more money, you want to look as "cool" as possible. Assuming you can get around the above issues, there is no better choice than a Thomson, they work, they seem to break less than any other brand, they are lighter than most carbon posts (especially the masterpiece series), and the offer the ultimate in adjustability.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thomson setback X 2

The straight works nicely for many but I can't get the setback that I need. The head on a Thomson setback post matches up with most traditional posts. I installed one a few years ago and thought it looked "funky" on a roadie. I have to admit that it has grown on me and looks cooler now that than it did before. The post simply works and does a splendid job w/o much fuss at all. Thomson make some uber-functional stuff..

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
OOps.

I have a Thompson setback post on my road bike. I focussed on the fact that it achieves setback by a bend in the shaft, totally forgetting that their regular posts are straightup from shaft to clamp. I now remember several threads from roadies asking for the exacty amount of setback difference between two posts.

btw-I use a setback post for another reason. I use Rolls saddles which have zero space between the rails and the low hanging sides. This rubs the inside of my thighs the wrong way. With a setback post, I can move the clamp way back along the rails where the clamp won't push the sides of the saddle outward.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
terry b said:
I have a setback Thomson on one of my bikes. It required an oddball size (30.8 or some such nonsense, thank-you PegorettI) and the choices were limited at that time. I'm not able to use a straight post due to my required setback.

It works fine, is ugly as hell and had I not been painted into that corner I never would've chosen it. The straight Thomsons are wonderful to behold, I have them on both my MTBs.
one word: SHIM.

·
limit screwed
806 Posts
I've got a Thomson setback post (black) on my Orbea, and it's been great. They're ridged, so they don't slip. They're pretty light, very adjustable, and I love the industrial look and quality. Plus, they come with a sweet seat-post bag and stickers. With me, it's the little things that count.

·
Registered
436 Posts
phazer said:
Many, if not most road-bike posts have setback -- typically the shaft is straight and the clamp is set back. Because the Thompson posts do not have setback at the clamp, they have a bent shaft. They are very nice posts!

I use the Thompson Masterpiece set-back post on my road bike, and a regular thompson elite set back post on my cross bike. The Masterpiece post is just as light, if not lighter than my previous Easton carbon post, and IME, is stiffer, less apt to slp in the seat tube, and more durable. Go for it!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Another Thomson Elite post here. It's about the only Non-record part on my road bike. It looks great, and works awesome. Outside of a Masterpiece I can't think of a post I'd rather have on my bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts