Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Do you need a special shim with a Thomson stem on a one inch steerer? Or does a normal shim do the job? Does Thomson make an inch stem?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I *BELIEVE* that all thomson stems are 1.125, but do indeed come with a shim for 1 inch. Thomson does suggest that you use only thier shims.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Farmpunker said:
Question: Do you need a special shim with a Thomson stem on a one inch steerer? Or does a normal shim do the job? Does Thomson make an inch stem?
You do need a shim which costs extra. Thompson says to use only their shim because of the way the pinch bolts snug the stem to the steerer tube.

You didn't ask, but I'd suggest using an inch/pound torque wrench for installing a Thompson stem too. The torque spec for clamping everything together is quite a bit less than I would have used if left to my own devices.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bugger.

Farmpunker said:

Rats. I bought a stem and it comes without the shim. Should have talked to the forum beforehand.
Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.