Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· What offseason?
534 Posts
He moved into Bernhard Eisel forcing him into the barriers in the last 300 meters. This was at the same time that Julien Dean went down. Eisel managed to stay upright and finish top 10, but Hushovd's maneuver was deemed irregular and he was relegated for it. From the video it was obvious it wasn't intentional, just unsafe.

· Registered
3,140 Posts
Hardly the same

In thye finish you talking about Robbie moves very slightly his left and Thor (whos behind him) moves to his right and brings his front wheel into Robbies foot - pretty much Thors fault.

Yesterdays religation was unfair tho Thor moved right re-acting to the fact that Dean rode into the QS guy and fell down - while unsafe it was totally not intentional.

wheezer said:
what a kick in the chamois after robbie crossed him up the day before.

· imbasilical moreon
1,894 Posts
From the website LeTour:

At the finish of the fourth stage in Saint-Quentin, Thor Hushovd (C.A) was relegated from fourth place to 148th (the last position of the lead group) because the race jury decided that his sprint was ‘irregular’. He apparently messed up Bernhard Eisel’s rush to the line; so the commissaire claim. That opinion wasn’t shared by Eisel’s FDJ team director Marc Madiot. “I didn’t see anything irregular in the sprint by Hushovd,” said Madiot.
“To me it was just the turn in the road that made it look like Thor strayed from his line. That’s why we didn’t make a protest.
“Regarding today’s stage: it’s a very quiet one for us. There are two riders on the attack and we’re not interested in chasing them down. It’s possible that we’ll try and set Bernhard up for the final but for now we’re content to just roll along in the pack. I’m comfortable in the back of the team car, reading the newspapers and getting some rest.”

· Registered
838 Posts
From watching the tivo in slo mo a million times, I think Dean was so busy watching Thor ride into Eisel he forgot he was also in the race. He was just STARING to his left as he drifted over to the right and went down. What I can't figure out is who he hit on his right. Whoever it was, that guy is my new hero. Dropped his shoulder and held his line. Impressive.

· imbasilical moreon
1,894 Posts
32and3cross said:
In thye finish you talking about Robbie moves very slightly his left and Thor (whos behind him) moves to his right and brings his front wheel into Robbies foot - pretty much Thors fault.

Yesterdays religation was unfair tho Thor moved right re-acting to the fact that Dean rode into the QS guy and fell down - while unsafe it was totally not intentional.

from the eurosport live coverage commentary:

THE THOR HUSHOVD DISQUALIFICATION YESTERDAY: Drops him to fifth in the race for the green jersey, and upon examination of a better over-head angle, it looks like he leaned in on Bernard Eisel up against the left barrier in the final sprint, and that's what qualified as "irregular sprinting."

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
it was because of the barriers

you can ride slightly off line but the judges are pretty strict about taking someone into the boards. You are supposed to leave room (see Bettini a Giro ago) and squeezing someone into the rail is considered dangerous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.