Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get out on my geared bike for the first time this year. I did my usual 20 mile lunch loop. It hurt worse than any of my fixie rides so far this year. In think I tend to push harder on the geared bike because it has a darned computer and I want to see my average. And since I ride it so rarely I seem to pick the wrong gear and end up spinning myself out on the many climbs in our area instead of standing up and pushing over the top. I'm toasted.

I think I'll go back to the fixie.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
variety is the spice of life

All kinds of riding have their place. 2 pieces of advice:

1. ride the geary more often, so you don't forget how. How much awareness does it take to shift up a cog or two when you spin out, anyway? did you leave your brain on the fixie? (JK)

2. throw the computer away.

Does your geared bike fit you right, or radically differently than your fixie? Maybe it needs some adjustment.

I love riding fixed, but I've said it before: the born-again fanatical devotion to 100-year-old technology, to the exclusion of modern tools, is weird.

But diff'rent strokes, ya' know?

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Mix your rides often.
And I agree with getting rid of the computer.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think number one is the answer. I did about 3k miles last year, probably 2750 on the fixie/singlespeed and I've forgotten how to ride it. I also think that I tend to go by the rule of sit & spin on the geared bike, stand on the fixie. Different muscles, different pains.

As for the fanatical devotion to fixie. I tend to be one of those, I can't explain. But one of the nice things is that it slows me down a bit so that my wife and I ride at about the same speed which makes for family harmony.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
VaughnA said:
I think number one is the answer. I did about 3k miles last year, probably 2750 on the fixie/singlespeed and I've forgotten how to ride it. I also think that I tend to go by the rule of sit & spin on the geared bike, stand on the fixie. Different muscles, different pains.

As for the fanatical devotion to fixie. I tend to be one of those, I can't explain. But one of the nice things is that it slows me down a bit so that my wife and I ride at about the same speed which makes for family harmony.
I do a little less mileage than you, probably 2/3 fixed, mostly commuting. I try to spend enough time on the road bike to keep up the skills. And I stand a lot on any bike. Any hill will have me standing at least some of the way. Me arse likes it that way, and me muscles does too.

That family harmony thing is certainly a worthwhile rationale.

Spin on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If I've been riding one or the other for any length of time (weeks/months) its always wonky. Fix to geared, I shift a lot. Geared to fix I feel like I'm riding on flats even at 120psi.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I took the fixie out today on about the same route for comparison. Same results.

Final Verdict. I SUCK, I'm out of shape.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
VaughnA said:
Final Verdict. I SUCK, I'm out of shape.
Yeah, I've got that, too.

G

·
I was just having a similar discussion yesterday with a friend, a bike shop owner and hard-core fixie devotee. We were talking about how it seems to be that, given similar routes/terrain, we both feel trashed riding a geared bike and fresh and rarin' to go after riding it on a fixie.

This was very apparent to me over the past couple of weeks. I've been riding a fixed-gear bike on the road for a year and a half now, after 18 years of riding geared road bikes. I tend to ride my fixie during the week and take my geared bike out on the weekends. I took my longest ride of the year a couple of weeks ago on my geared bike. Following that ride, I felt like garbage for the next several rides, most of which were on my geared bike by circumstance. My most recent ride on my geared bike was Tuesday, and I still felt like poo. Legs tired, slightly sore, no strength at all. Then Wednesday I did a fixed ride on a route that was nothing but short, steep hills, requiring me to grind quite a bit. Even still, after all those lousy rides on my geared bike, I felt great on the fixie. I went out yesterday and did the same route again on my fixie and felt great once again. In fact, I never really feel bad on my fixie.

So what gives? Is it the shorter cranks? The momentum of being fixed? A placebo effect? It seems counter-intuitive given our very hilly terrain around here.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I think riding nothing but fixed makes you kinda lazy.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Kosmik Konnections

foothillsbass said:
I was just having a similar discussion yesterday with a friend, a bike shop owner and hard-core fixie devotee. We were talking about how it seems to be that, given similar routes/terrain, we both feel trashed riding a geared bike and fresh and rarin' to go after riding it on a fixie.

So what gives? Is it the shorter cranks? The momentum of being fixed? A placebo effect? It seems counter-intuitive given our very hilly terrain around here.
Perhaps it's some mysterious mind-body connection that is fostered by the constant relationship between leg speed and bike speed. I'm maybe half-serious here. There seems to be something about the fixed experience that more often gets one into that "zone" that runners experience.

Maybe Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter was onto something in "The Wheel."

Peace, all.

The wheel is turning
and you can't slow down
You can't let go
and you can't hold on
You can't go back
and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you
then the lightning will

Won't you try just a little bit harder?
Couldn't you try just a little bit more?

Round round robin run around
Gotta get back where you belong
Little bit harder, just a little bit more
Little bit farther than you than you've gone before

The wheel is turning
and you can't slow down
You can't let go
and you can't hold on
You can't go back
then the lightning will

Small wheel turn by the fire and rod
Big wheel turn by the grace of God
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground

The wheel is turning
and you can't slow down
You can't let go
and you can't hold on
You can't go back
then the lightning will

Won't you try just a little bit harder

·
Registered
138 Posts
My theories are:
a. That you're riding position is better on the fixie.
b. That you're not trying to spin up hills or push too big of a gear as you would on your geared bike.
c. That your "heavy" fixie is rides over the road far more comfortably than you "light" geared bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
oh dude the same thing happened to me today. im so used to riding fixed that when i mounted up on my dads road bike all the energy sprang out of me like a spring out of a busted machine. it was fun though, i just need to learn how to pace myself with gears rather than fixed. its weird though, when i originally went from roadie to fixed it didnt tire me out as much as the switch back.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I think it's because the fixie is more for fun.
Just quietly spinning along and enjoying the day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
jmlapoint said:
I think it's because the fixie is more for fun.
Just quietly spinning along and enjoying the day.
dude i worked on my fixie 8 hours a day 5 days a week. fixies are for people who cant afford the time and money to be constantly replacing/maintaining a road bike. besides ill smoke your ass on my fixie, choose any bike you like :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
maybe on flat ground you could smoke him, maybe on hills even but if you could it would be due to having worked/ridden so much on that not by an inherent superiority of the design. It sounds like he's not so much the racing type from his post (i could be wrong). I'd take you up on the offer (and perhaps lose) if not for likely being way to far away to meet you.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wastelandmanstan said:
dude i worked on my fixie 8 hours a day 5 days a week. fixies are for people who cant afford the time and money to be constantly replacing/maintaining a road bike. besides ill smoke your ass on my fixie, choose any bike you like :D
I love how someone with < 10 posts is the expert. :rolleyes:

Come on down to my neck of the woods and smoke me on one of my mountainous centuries! :D

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not in as bad of shape as I thought. I think I just tended to push harder than I was ready for. Went out on my first group ride on the geared bike, no problems, easily hanging with the front pack.

As the old saying goes, as you get stronger you don't hurt any less, you just go faster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts