Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought some of those Kevlar thingamajigggies that go between the tire and tubes. Going to try them out soon to see by how much I can reduce my monthly flat tire quotient by—it varies, the most so far was four flats in five days, since the a-holes here in the Bay Area don’t realise the 5¢ per glass bottle deposit amount exists and instead like to break them in the bike lanes.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ligero said:
Those thingies actually caused me to get flats when I used them. They wear a hole in the tube at the edge where the liner stops and the tire starts.
Are you using real kevlar liners or the plastic-like Mr. Tuffy's? I have been using the same set of Mr. Tuffy liners for over 2 years and have not had a leak caused by the liners. Occassionally a goatshead does penetrate though.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the air here has been too smoky and unhealthy for me to test it out so far, so I cannot yet confirm nor deny the credibility of the Kevlar tire liner. I can, however, state that they are the “14g per wheel” ones that Performance sells. We’ll (eventually) see once the smoke clears (no pun intended)—supposed to go on an RBR ride this Sunday, but the smoke still looms about.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
After starting to visit these forums, I feel very lucky that with all the miles I put on my previous bike, I've never had a flat! I'm not going to push my luck any more however, I will be carrying a spare tube with me now.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I tried kevlar liners (Panaracers) and Mr. Tuffys and no longer use either.

The Mr. Tuffys made my bike feel like cement and actually caused numerous irreparable lats where the two ends of the Mr. Tuffy overlap.

The kevlar liners were brilliant at first but unfortunately outlasted their usefulness. After about two months, the kevlar actually subtly punctured the tubes. There were countless little holes that could not be found or patched.

I now just ride Michelin Krylion tires and keep them newish.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pablo said:
I now just ride Michelin Krylion tires and keep them newish.
LOL!!! That’s what my new bike came with, and I got three flats the first two days riding it!!! I switched back to a Continental Grand Prix Supersonic on the front, and a Vittoria Diamante Pro Kevlar on the rear, and only managed to get four flats in five days. Since then, I put the cheap-as-dirt Michelin Krylion on the back, along with the kevlar strip, and haven’t had any flats yet (I did powder the hell out of it before installation, as per the recommendation printed in the instructions).

Still have the Continental on the front, and no flats on front or rear. I’ll check back here periodically with a mileage summary with or without flats involved.

My worst fear is being “that guy” on group rides who always gets a flat. So far it has only happened once on an RBR-sanctioned event a few months ago. I do, afterall, use the same bike to commute to/from work on a regular basis.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
LOL!!! That’s what my new bike came with, and I got three flats the first two days riding it!!!
Seriously? What are you riding on? I've found those tires to be the most resilient skinny tires in existence.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
+1 for MrTuffy on cheap bikes and cheap tires
+1 for Michelin Krylions for those willing to buy tires (if Michelin can improve supply)

I've used both (different applications) for thousands of miles with great success. If you want MrTuffy--make sure you get the right size. That seems like the most likely cause for the problems others are describing.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
LOL!!! That’s what my new bike came with, and I got three flats the first two days riding it!!! I switched back to a Continental Grand Prix Supersonic on the front, and a Vittoria Diamante Pro Kevlar on the rear, and only managed to get four flats in five days...

It almost sounds like you still have something stuck in your tire--or poking through your rim tape--on the back wheel. Or you're riding through BlackBerry bushes.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MarvinK said:
It almost sounds like you still have something stuck in your tire--or poking through your rim tape--on the back wheel. Or you're riding through BlackBerry bushes.
I was having the problems with the Michelins flatting before I started using the kevlar rim strips. There is broken glass everywhere I need to ride, so it seems. Come to San Jose some time, and I’ll show you a 980,000-person town full of fumbducks who have no concept of what the term “bottle deposit” means.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
The back tire on my commuter has a tuffy. I use conti gatorskin ultras and I didn't notice any difference in the ride. I have pulled some nasty stuff out of the rear tire that would have given me a flat otherwise. I have never seen the need for one in the front. The front tire stands the debris up so the back tire can hit it.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another ~102 miles and still no flats… on the front or rear (still running the Continental Grand Prix Supersonic up front with no kevlar thingie in place). The front surely will need replacing in another 300 or less, so I suspect.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
You're supposed to replace front tires? :blush2:

My front tires don't wear. Maybe it's my weight distribution?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Another ~102 miles and still no flats… on the front or rear (still running the Continental Grand Prix Supersonic up front with no kevlar thingie in place). The front surely will need replacing in another 300 or less, so I suspect.
I managed to wear out a set of the Performance Kevlar belted foldable tires w/o getting a flat. I was also on the 4 flats every 5 or so ride program. ******** in VA like to toss their beer bottles out the windows.

I'm using a set of continental gp4000's now, and have had one flat. 'twas a nail, so I'm giving them a bye on that.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, about 1050 miles on both tires now (front is a Continental Grand Prix Supersonic, so anything over 700 miles is AMAZING), and finally on Tuesday morning I got a flat. Some sort of sidewall pinch flat on the rear tire (stock Michelin Lithion tire), not exactly sure how it happened, really, but a vertical split about 1/8" long was the result along the left side of the tube.

Meanwhile, on my wife’s tiny 15.5" midget mountain bike, it got a flat on the rear the other day… OK, so I ride it (with lots of physical discomfort) in the mornings with the Burley Delite trailer on it to take the boys to daycare… so, a careless construction contractor apparently let a whole bunch of nails fall out the back of his pickup truck (but they’ll NEVER let a single can of Buttweiper Light fall out the backs of their trucks!!!!!!!!), and I got one snagged in the rear tire. I did install a set of Lizard Skins on my wife’s tiny midget bike, but one of the nails lodged itself into the rear tire, puncturing the Kevlar liner, but the air did not escape.

I am still sold on these cheap-ass $16/set “Lizard Skins” Kevlar liners.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, so they seem to be good for somewhere around 1,200 - 1,500 miles of use before they start to disintegrate perpendicular to the direction of wheel rotation, so I found out last night—I had to change my second flat on the rear tire in the 1,200 - 1,500 mile distance range. The kevlar liner that was in there was in bits and pieces, particles of it were seemingly fused to the tube. So, I cleaned everything up, re-talced the inside of the tire, installed a new liner, and then a new tube, so I ought to be good for another 1,200 - 1,500 miles (or until I get an over/underinflation pinch flat). This decision came about due to the flat I experienced during my morning commute—ran over something big that made a really loud metallic sound, front tire instantly flat… of course it didn’t help that I had lots and lots of belt weave showing through the tread (that’s a lot of miles for an otherwise race-only tire). When the incident occurred apparently it caused some slow leak damage on the rear too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.