Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
It was not really cold (except for waiting at the start) but it was miserable and wet whole day. Not sure how many people ended up at the ambulance, but I have seen one guy laying on ground uncontentious another had sort of Parkinson started at the restroom (there was one big public restroom at one of the stops) and he was taken by medical team.

I, myself was lucky enough to get a flat right after the finish, besides that and the weather of cause, it was fun.

I know it's an off topic but, I don't think it was even close to 7000 participants. If you check the bib's numbers they do not go higher than 3700. Also apparently only 2229 people finished it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was out and about this morning and thought, "those poor bastards."

I did the Ramapo Rally a couple of years ago under similar conditions [much heavier rain, but August so warmer] and it is not fun, especially knowing that drivers can't see you as well and you can't see potholes that are hiding in puddles.

GFNY must've been worse in that you have all these uber-Freds gunning for their time/placing, so that makes it even more stressful. On the other hand, just looked up a friend's brother, and he placed top decile in every way, at the age of 42, so there's that.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I suspect that a lot of people go forward with the event despite the weather because they've already paid for it. They may feel that they would experience an economic loss if they don't go through with it, even though they would not otherwise ride under those conditions. But once you've paid your registration fee, it's a "sunk cost". It shouldn't factor into you decision to ride or not. It just gives you that option.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Just spoke to a buddy of mine that rode it today, he said it was cold, miserable and tough... But he loved it!
This!!

The weather was way worse than the forecast. Forecast was for a couple of showers. Me and a friend almost left the rain jackets in the car but figured we would be cold waiting on the bridge. Glad we did not.

The only time it was cold after the start was on the big descents. Bear Mountain was much more fun going up than down.

·
Looking for a new ride
38 Posts
Yes, the weather sucked. I rode it and finished it. Very cold and wet, rain didnt stop.
Was it worth it to me, yes. It was challenge for me to begin with and this just upped the ante. I enjoyed it. at the end but during it, not so much!

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Glad I was in West Virgina instead.....

·
Pandesal Peddler
146 Posts
Wasnt so bad...rain came pouring at times...but overall the challenge was worth it. enjoyed talking to dudes from Canada and Venezuela. Just signed up for next year, its cheaper just like last year if you sign up a couple of days after fondo.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Looks like they had much worse rain than I had Sunday in PA. Looked pretty soggy and miserable, and some of those descents must have been interesting.

And I just saw the "early bird" pre registration cost for next year. $200? Holy sh*t that's a lot...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks like they had much worse rain than I had Sunday in PA. Looked pretty soggy and miserable, and some of those descents must have been interesting.

And I just saw the "early bird" pre registration cost for next year. $200? Holy sh*t that's a lot...
It's not a lot. Consider this, you get jersey, bottle, bottle of wine, some other souvenirs.
At course you have 6 rest stops with unlimited power gels and bars, water, electrolytes water. At the festival, you get the medal and food. Whole course is timed as well. I don't see it as such a bad value.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
It's not a lot. Consider this, you get jersey, bottle, bottle of wine, some other souvenirs.
At course you have 6 rest stops with unlimited power gels and bars, water, electrolytes water. At the festival, you get the medal and food. Whole course is timed as well. I don't see it as such a bad value.

I really could care less about the jersey. The food was low quality. Why do we always get medals?

I did like the announcement at the end. I would honestly prefer timed climbs so you can still do your best and ride with others that are at different levels.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
I don't want another jersey (and making you wear it during the event is stupid.) I have too many bottles already. I don't want cheap wine. I don't eat the food at the rest stops on these anyway (always take care of your own nutrition, never rely on the event rest stops.) The food is typically poor quality. Medals are only supposed to be for podium finishers.

Mainly the same reason I won't do GFNJ again this year....the only thing of value were the timing chips and closed intersections, and those are still few and far between.

YMMV.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Mainly the same reason I won't do GFNJ again this year....

YMMV.
Basically the same reason I won't do GFNJ to begin with. I can't justify shelling out $100+ to ride the same roads I ride for free whenever I want. Especially when you consider that there's probably a 1 in 4 chance that the weather will be crappy and you won't want to do the event anyway. Add to that the fact that they keep the route the same year after year, so why would you want to pay to do it more than once? (HoH is an exception.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't want another jersey (and making you wear it during the event is stupid.) I have too many bottles already. I don't want cheap wine. I don't eat the food at the rest stops on these anyway (always take care of your own nutrition, never rely on the event rest stops.) The food is typically poor quality. Medals are only supposed to be for podium finishers.

Mainly the same reason I won't do GFNJ again this year....the only thing of value were the timing chips and closed intersections, and those are still few and far between.

YMMV.
It's not like the rest of the rides are 20-30 bucks. GFNJ is $150. And why are you trolling the post that has nothing to do with pricing.

It's the package you get. If you do not use cellphone camera, no one is taking it out for you and giving discount on the phone. I haven't done many events, but I did 5 boro last year and for $300 VIP ticket you get nothing at all, no time no jersey and rest stops suck balls. If you do not want to pay, 9W is a nice cycling path with not too many cars or intersections, you can do your own gran fondo NY with strava, if you'd like.:thumbsup:

bottom line is It is not cheap, but it's reasonably priced.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
It's not like the rest of the rides are 20-30 bucks. GFNJ is $150. And why are you trolling the post that has nothing to do with pricing.

It's the package you get. If you do not use cellphone camera, no one is taking it out for you and giving discount on the phone. I haven't done many events, but I did 5 boro last year and for $300 VIP ticket you get nothing at all, no time no jersey and rest stops suck balls. If you do not want to pay, 9W is a nice cycling path with not too many cars or intersections, you can do your own gran fondo NY with strava, if you'd like.:thumbsup:

bottom line is It is not cheap, but it's reasonably priced.
$200 (which I'm sure goes higher if you don't early bird register) is ridiculous for a bike ride, IMO. GFNJ is getting out of hand as well.

Don't get your panties in a bunch about pricing. I simply commented that I saw the ridiculous registration price tied into some of the photo postings, which depicted the trying conditions (which looked truly miserable in most cases.) Good for everyone who finished (or even attempted) but it looks like there were a lot of people who bit off more than they could chew, probably because they didn't want to lose the money invested.

Oh well, such is the nature of life.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's what the market will bear, if that's what you mean by "reasonably priced". By that definition, a Rolls Royce is "reasonably priced".
It goes same way with bikes. When I tell some people you can get a bike for $2000 their eyes pop up. Their reasonably priced bicycle is a walmart sale bike. Cars and bikes are 2 different things. Rolls Royce is about status and luxury. There is no such thing as luxury bike, unless you cover it in diamonds and triple the price.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.